We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Vinyl cut out face down

redheadpuppyredheadpuppy Member Posts: 6
My objective here is to cut out names on vinyl to be used on windows inside a classroom that would project into a hall. This would keep students from removing all or parts of it. So here are the questions: 1) is there a way to mirror fonts to allow the sticky side to be face forward or 2) would it be best to cut it out with the paper backing side up. If option 2 is preferred, what knife do I use to cut through both the vinyl and backer? Thanks so much for your thoughts and guidance with this.

Best Answer

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,742
    @redheadpuppy - welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum where we support the cutter software called Make The Cut! and its supported cutters. In Make The Cut! you would flip or mirror your text so that it cuts so that you can put the text on the window from inside the classroom/room and it will display properly outside the window. I don't like the look of vinyl on the window backwards, but that's my personal preference.

So now....what cutter and software are you using?
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,742
    ...just a thought! You might want to consider using window cling to put your text on the inside of the window. It's not as permanently sticky as vinyl, but would definitely be easier to remove, and then it can be stored for use again next year or whenever needed. HTH

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Silhouette-Printable-Window-Cling-8-5-X11-5-Pkg-Clear/583150972

- how to use Silhouette window cling
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • redheadpuppyredheadpuppy Member Posts: 6
    Say, that window Klingon is an outstanding idea. And I totally agree with you, I don’t like it backwards either. I am so new to this. I just got my Skycutter 16 Tuesday. We are in the midst of a true love/hate relationship. So far I am working my way through the owners manual. EVERYTHING I have cut out so far looks like the fog chewed it. This blade position has me boggled. There is a band that expands out where the jaw tightens. Does the jaw tighten above that or around that. My mat is really sticky ; it is new as well. I should have done the bath towel trick before using it. I may never get this piece of card stock back off! Lol Once I get this thing going, I am going to have the time of my life with it! My window name may be done about ohh, say early spring. Thanks for your time and suggestions!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,769
    edited September 19
    I'm so sorry!  That's on me!  When I wrote the Skycut C user manual, I had the original blade holder seat. Since that time, it's been replaced with a newer style.  Here's a photo of how your blade holder should be mounted:  

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/