We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Printing from MTC with unwanted results for PNC

I just did a complete write up on the issue and the page failed to post and I lost everything.

I would like to use MTC to do print and cuts for stickers. I'm having the following issue:

https://ibb.co/2ZgKy6X

In the above images you can see that when I print directly from within MTC I get a grey band on the right side of the logo.

This image was created in Photoshop, exported as a PNG w/transparent background, imported into MTC via pixel trace. I used the alpha layer at 254 and set texturize path to on. As you can see everything looks fine in MTC, MTC Print Preview, and Photoshop. However once you actually print it, there are grey bands on the right side of the logo that don't exist anywhere else. The printer is an HP M477 LaserJet and it's served me well over the past 4 years without an issue.

Now the interesting  part:

When I go into MTC and print to a PDF instead of the printer, it generates a PDF file and I open that in Acrobat. Once I print that using Acrobat the grey bands are gone.

So not sure what's going on here but if anyone has any ideas to fix this please let me know.

Also is MTC out of biz? Last official releases and posts are from over 5 years ago.

Thanks,
Pat

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,578
    @pat_g84 - yes MTC is considered by most of us as abandon-ware. The owner/developer lost all interest several years ago, and we've heard nothing since.

I don't see in any of the linked photos a sample of what your results are when printed from MTC. Can you just click the Attach File icon and put in a reply. Thanks.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,672
    edited February 25
    Off and on, over the years, I've seen some weird things happen when printing projects. I am curious...

(1) If this is a PNC project where are the reg marks? 

(2) What cutter are you planning to use? 

(3) Also, if you go to File>Print Options, what options are you choosing?

If you like, you can email the MTC file to me and I'll test it out on my printer.  The only issue is that the MTC file might be too large for emailing so you may need to provide it some other way.    My email is [email protected] 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,594
    This quite odd
    Not sure it relevant are you using Windows or MAC ?
    Assume you would be need to add Reg Mark to do print and cut ?

a workaround
    There are method of print from
    another application eg:Photoshop and cut with mtc
    you could also print to pdf in mtc > print the pdf > cut in mtc

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • pat_g84pat_g84 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 25
    Ah that sucks. He should release the source so developed could pick up where he left off.

The only print options that are on are preview print area.

Sandy I'll send a copy of the MTC a bit later tonight when I get home.

Yea that's what I figured Mr Zing, I'll have to send to off then cut that.

Not using registration marks.

The cutter is a cricut expression using my 4.1.0 I believe, not near the computer. I believe 4.1.0 was the last version before they dropped support for the cricut due to the lawsuits.

I'm trying to avoid buying a new cricut and being limited to their "online only" software.

The print and cut works pretty well with this cutter however it's just the weird artifacts that happen in the prints. It's not all prints.

Also when I use pixel trace to import them, I have to hold the shift key after import to resize or rotate or it resizes the die cut outline but doesn't resize the raster image. I've tried the newer version of MTC but it totally botches the pixel trace import.

I'm using a PC.

Thanks!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,594
    edited February 26
    Hmm maybe it related to the old version ?

there is a method of installing the most current version of mtc alongside the older in windows

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited February 26
    > @Crazy_Mr_Zing said:
    > Hmm maybe it related to the old version ?
    >
    > there is a method of installing the most current version of mtc alongside the older in windows
    > (See video in above message)

I'll check that. I just spun up a virtual machine to test the new one.

Also I can't upgrade as the cricut won't cut.
    Post edited by Gabe on
    @pat_g84 - couple of points.

- Cricut no longer have "online only" software. They now have desktop only software, however it only supports cutters from the Explore version and up. Its still buggy. Cricut has been aggressively delivering new products to marke 

- how do you do print and cut with no registration marks

- I guess things changed, in versions 4.6.1/4.6.2, I don't have to use shift to resize, rotate, etc.

- I do a lot of raster/pixel trace imports, and I can't recall when I would have experienced a total botch...would have to see what your original image looks like before importing to MTC

- the grey band is only showing on select items (and it very much looks like printing banding, a nozzle is clogged on the print head)...so I am wondering if something got corrupted when you selected, copied, pasted, rotated as that's what I am thinking happened for you to get the patterns the way you did. What happens if you delete the ones that are messing up, and select a good example, and copy, paste in place, then navigate it to where its supposed to be? I don't remember all the things that changed between your version and current version, but if you make a copy by selecting an item, then CTRL+SHIFT click it, it duplicates it, then you just use arrow keys to move it, then rotate it. Did you rotate using the handles, or by using Rotate Clockwise button at the bottom.

I do very vaguely recall a couple of people a long time ago having printing issues...but one was a Mac. Do not recall how they resolved the issue.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    Liz,

The software by cricut that I'm talking about is the one you download from their site. From what I've seen it installs and behaves like a desktop program but in reality it's just calling up webpages and serving them through the program.

As far as using no registration marks all I'm doing is going to file --> print. Once that page is printed I stick it to the mat and cut within MTC.

Yea I notice this too that you no longer need to use the shift to resize uniformly with the newer software.

So literally I used the text tool in Photoshop and imported an illustrator file with the logo. I deleted the background layer in Photoshop so now the text and illustrator file are each on their own layer. I usually merge down or flatten the image in Photoshop. Then do an export to PNG. Also the newer version didn't get the die cut whitespace right. To make that whitespace all I did was flatten the layers in Photoshop and apply an outer stroke in Photoshop to be wide enough. With the background transparent (using a PNG) MTC is able to use the alpha channel and pickup that whitespace.

I tried SVG but MTC says the file is invalid. I get the same result from illustrator if I design it from the ground up and export as SVG.

So the printer is a LaserJet and like said above I have no issue if I use MTC to print to a PDF then actually go print that PDF. All the colors are correct with no banding.

I used the rotate 90° button at the bottom. I've tried the handles but I couldn't figure out how to snap it to be level.

Thanks!
    edited February 26
    @pat_g84 - the software can run without an internet connection, so in my book that's a desktop application. Some data is likely still beinf stored in the cloud.

Set a rotation snap for the handles in Help => Advanced => Advanced Settings.

Can you not recreate the MG logo in MTC? I would think you'd be able to do that quite easily (well actually I did it, so it is easy =) ), actually the whole thing could very simply be created in MTC and you skip the whole export, import, raster trace process. This to me is just text for the most part, and find a super hi res version of the MG bit to trace right into MTC is the only out of the ordinary for this project.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,672
    The problem with trying to do a PNC without reg marks is that printers do not always print correctly in terms of location. I never realized this until Accugraphic suggested I create a letter sized file with 4 squares perfectly positioned exactly half an inch from the outside borders of the file and then send it to print.  Wow... they were SO correct. Each square was slightly off from half-inch and not consistent.  

That being said, I never argue with success, so if you get the accuracy you need without them, go for it.  lol

I didn't find a file from you in my inbox.  Let me know if you DO email one to me by posting here that it was sent. Or you can try posting it here.  This issue is SO familiar to me. I KNOW I've seen it before... I just can't recall a solution. I also know that it's related to the brand/model of printer which means that one printer will print it this way but the next will not.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/