We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

How to re-stick your cutting mat [Resolved]

PaperZenPaperZen Member Posts: 210
edited October 2016 in Resolved Issues

I've had a collection of dying, dead, and really dead cutting mats in my drawers, waiting for a resurrection. I used Aleene's Tack It Over and Over glue with NO dilution, NO brushes, and achieved even coverage, and show how in my video here.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,213
    Thanks for posting. I have always diluted mine. Will give this a try.
    Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,605
    I'm going to test this out, for sure.  Thanks for making the video.  

I've always preferred using diluted Aleen's over any other method (and I've tried them all, I think!  lol). I'm intrigued by how you're not diluting it but getting a very thin even coverage. I would have guessed it would still be too sticky but your cardstock test at the end proves that it's not.  

I do have to warn KNK owners not to try folding their mats backwards to release certain materials. That can cause the mats to break as they are made from a thicker, less pliable plastic.  It's better to use an artist palette knife to lift up the material, instead.

Anyhow, again, thank you for the new method!
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • PaperZenPaperZen Member Posts: 210
    Looking forward to hearing your results @Penny and @SandyMcC!

Maybe the microphone couldn't pick up how hard I scraped my mat, but I was able to remove quite a bit of glue each time I re-scraped the surface firmly while it was wet.

On my blog post, I show a photo of my first attempt. You can see how thick the glue is near the masking tape because it's much shinier than the rest of the mat.

Also, I did not remove the original Cricut glue that came with the mats - they were ones with a mottled glue pattern. So perhaps my new glue simply filled in the cracks? I don't know what it'll be like on my 2nd or 3rd reapplication of glue.
    Worked great! The only thing I did differently was to tape the mat to my kitchen counter as I was taping the edges. That way there was no slippage as I was scraping the glue.

The thing that I really liked was that by the time I had finished applying the adhesive, the surface was dry! Granted, I live in the Phoenix area where it's ~ 5% humidity in June. lol But the point is that there's far less drying time needed compared to diluting the glue with water. Great method!
    Sandy McCauley
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,551
    That does look like it works well and so much simpler
    Thank you for showing us
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SteveC00kSteveC00k Member Posts: 128
    I use  a spray tack adhesive. I will see if can locate the can I use and post how I get mine working again. :) It works great too. Just mask what you do not want and stick it to a piece of cardboard and spray a few passes. Let it dry for 20 min and vola! instant sticky again. 
    My problem with the spray adhesives is that they dry out too fast here in Arizona. I would have to respray mats that had never even been used since the last spraying (yes, I own a tad too many cutting mats!  lol).   I tried four different brands of sprays and then, after I tried Aleene's Tack It Over and Over, I never went back to the sprays. Plus, every time I would spray my mats, I would forget and leave them outside and they would be covered in leaves and a few random bugs by the time I remembered them!  :P  So, I like the fact I can resticky my mats inside. 

Also, Aleene's seems to last much longer in a dry climate and handles multiple washings with soap and water really well, too.   So, it's definitely a good choice economically for me.  

But I do know that a lot of cutter owners continue using the sprays and that's great. It's kind of personal preference thing.   
    Sandy McCauley
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,551
    Maybe it my climate too  but the sprays I tried even that the said re-positionable if you left the material on the mat and adhesion became very permanent 
    I first made the mistake of spraying inside I put down lots of newpaper on the bench that didn't stop the spray floating over 4 meter away and covering the other benches and windows what a mess , even outside it seem I managed to get just as much spray on me as the mat

I looking forward to trying this new method as even with the dilution method it a bit hit and miss getting the required stickiness for me 
    I will have to try the isopropyl alcohol I tried thinners it turned the glue residual into slimey goop
    I have quite a collection of mats too 12vegie mats , 5 messy mats and 2 knk
    I find it quite a task to resticky mats because I usually wait till they all need doing

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • DAISY_2DAISY_2 Member Posts: 25
    Love tips and trick....thank you for the technique 
  • craftyladycraftylady Member Posts: 193
    This is the easiest and best easy to re-stick mats that I have found. It takes just a few minutes and lasts a long time. I do scrub my mats first just because I like them to look a little cleaner but then I just apply these sheets and I am done. http://thatsscrapinc.com/matsandre-nusheets.aspx
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,579
    @craftylady, I tried the re-new sheets when they first came out.  I liked them at first, but then had problems with the little dots not sticking to the mat.  Instead, they came off and stuck to the back of my paper.  A total mess to remove. I went back to Aleene's. So re-new sheets don't work for everyone and they are much more expensive compared to Aleene's.
  • Calgalcre8sCalgalcre8s Member Posts: 2,901
    @craftylady .... I also had the same issues as Gabe. I too have much better success with Alene's Tack It Over and Over.  PaperZen, thanks for the video.
    @SandyMcC - thanks for giving it a try and letting us know your results

@Crazy_Mr_Zing - I can't wait to hear your experiments

@SteveC00k - I avoid sprays because I'm too lazy to protect surrounding area, and I've experienced the adhesive lifting off then sticking to my paper

@DAISY_2 - I'm curious to know how it works for you

@craftylady - I'm in the same camp as @Gabe. Those sheets don't seem as inexpensive as the small amount of Aleene's I put down. I tried using double-sided adhesive, which I got for free from a sign company, and it worked, but I'd also cut through that, then end up having to peel it off my work.

@Calgalcre8s - you bet! I'm thrilled to see it spark such a discussion. Have you tried this glue before using the dilution/brush method?

• Calgalcre8sCalgalcre8s Member Posts: 2,901
    PaperZen ... I have always used the diluted/brush method. I will try your method next time I need to re-stick my mat.
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 212
    I have a collection of unsticky mats so I will be trying this very very soon.  Thank you so much for the idea and video.
  • geekinesisgeekinesis Member Posts: 45
    After a year or so of testing I've found Eileen's glue to be the best for resticking mats for heavy papers and card, but when I am using thin papers I prefer the 3m brand called remount (green can) in the UK
    it may be called something different in the USA
    ive found its better than regular reposition able sprays and doesn't dry out. 

Also I cut for several hours each day and was going through mats like crazy, so I make my own cheap mats using polypropylene plastic sheets, so don't even bother buying new mats anymore. Both the Eileen's glue and remount spray work well with the polypropylene plastic.

• 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 853
    PaperZen Thank you for the tip and tutorial.  I finally got around to trying it and it works wonderfully!  I was using the the diluted mixture formula before, but I frequently had to do 2 or 3 layers as it did not always give me full coverage, this method worked perfectly for me.  Thanks again.  ~Diane
    PaperZen Thank you for the tip and tutorial.  I finally got around to trying it and it works wonderfully!  I was using the the diluted mixture formula before, but I frequently had to do 2 or 3 layers as it did not always give me full coverage, this method worked perfectly for me.  Thanks again.  ~Diane
    Hi Diane,

I'm so happy to hear you had great success with my tutorial! Thanks for letting us know your results.

Cecelia
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!