We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

windows 10: See Zing, can move blade around, but doesn't cut [Resolved]

dyslecixdyslecix Member Posts: 25
edited May 2016 in Resolved Issues
I'm running windows 10 on my old computer.  I *thought* I'd cut since upgrading, but maybe not.  When I say cut w/zing, I get the slick little interface window.  I can set the blade origin thru the interface on the computer.  When I say cut, the black "wait until finished" comes up but nothing else happens.  I've updated the FTDI driver with D2xx.  Rebooted, then plugged in zing, but no change.  This has been my go-to computer and cutter.  What have I hosed up?  Thank you so much.

Eleanor

Post edited by Gabe on

Best Answers

Answers

• dyslecixdyslecix Member Posts: 25
    Update: tried auto-simplify paths.  Did not help.  Have to turn off machine and turn back on to try new approach, if anyone cares.  Zing DOES know it's supposed to be doing something after it adjusts mat and returns to home position. 

Also, if it matters, when I turn machine back on, use last on blade position doesn't work.  Maybe it doesn't between turn-off's.  Just don't remember.  Will keep working for a bit then resort the a manual approach. 
    Further update:  New project with only a 1" square from shapes gallery.  Doesn't cut.  So it much be something funky with how I'm communicating.

UPDATE: false lead: Use lase DOES work

Can I update a question rather than leave a reply?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,550
    Ok do you have a Zing or ZIng Air, are you using Bluetooth or Usb Connection. are you using the latest version of MTC

Did you update FTDI driver with D2xx using the option in the MTC help menu ?  If you did. You could try going to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm download the driver and then right clicking the file and selecting run as administrator

when you power cycle the zing the memory is cleared so the origin setting are lost

Can I update a question rather than leave a reply?   To edit your post look in the top right  corner of that message's box the should be a small cog shape , click on that shape, select edit, edit your message and select save 

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I have the original zing with a usb connection, not the air.  I did run the ftdi exe as a download but will try again from the mtc menu.  My mtc version is 4.1.6.  Thanks for info on updating the post. 

later...
    Unplugged/turned off zing. Updated the driver from help/advanced (I am the administrator). Note: right click/run as doesn't seem to be an option.  I just clicked and let it run.

Tried to cut a simple square.  replugged/turned on machine.  set the blade origin using interface, tried to cut, blade went to far right, black box, then nothing. 

As an aside, after I did the last ftdi update, i left the machine to percolate just in case it was slow.  It never came back in 3 hours.

I've now closed the program to stop the zing being tied to earlier failed cut and it's open again.

Just to be absolutely sure, I've update the zing driver itself.  I believe I had done that previously but wanted to leave do doubt.  Had the same problem.

Thanks for your help.  I'm sorry I'm so high maintenance.  I wish I knew what the secret is.  I'm sure there are hundreds of people running this successfully.

Eleanor
    edited April 2016
    version 4.1.6 must be quite old the current version is 4.6.2  or was that a typo and you meant 4.6.1 
    the right clicking the file and selecting run as administrator would be done on the actual exe file you downloaded and sometime windows require administrators rights to make change to your system.
    I'm the Adminstrator on my PC but windows has many protections built in that somehow block certain changes. so some how run as administrator seems to work
    I'm not expert at this just throwing suggestions in for you to try
    I sort of think it the FTDI was an issue the computer would not communicate with  the zing at all so you wouldn't be able to set the origin
    When you changed the design to a square did you start with a new file ?
    Try and different USB Cable and or USB port on your computer
    The only other idea is uninstall it all and reinstall again....  maybe wait for they advice of someone more knowing
    You don't need to be sorry that's what the forum is for. I have a Zing Air on USB and its running fine on windows 10.
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,605
    So, you can set the origin (move the mat in and out and the head left and right) but then nothing happens at all when you then click on Cut Project?  The head just sits there and doesn't move at all? Or does it return to the right side?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited April 2016
    OK.  This is what I've done:
    I was indeed running 4.6.1.
    1. I ..deinstalled 4.6.1
    2. ....re-booted.
    3. ....ran the ftdi as administrator.
    4. ....rebooted
    5. ....re-installed 4.6.2 plus newly downloaded zing drivers
    6. ....rebooted
    7. ....tried again
    When I said cut my simple square, the fan cranks up, it lets me set the origin, the blade returns to home (to the right side), the black box reminding me to let things finish comes on, the fan turns...and turns... but nothing will happen after that.

I had a sickening feeling maybe it wasn't the software but the cutter itself.  I brought in my new ultra hd screen machine.  I did the ftdi there, too.  tried to cut and it did indeed cut. So  the important thing is that the machine IS ready to cut, just not with my old machine.

I checked my restore points.  I can roll my machine back to 4/3 right now but I'm  not entirely clear what this would prove.  I welcome input.  I need to update but am putting it off since it would make make me lose that restore point.

I'm stumped.  Thanks to you both for your help.

Eleanor
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    Sandy McCauley
    I have powered on and off several times.
    The carriage does move.  Freely is a matter of opinion but it doesn't catch.
    I'm using WSYWYG.
    The shape is in the bottom right of the mat so the distance from the orientation to the shape is miniscule.
    Restarting didn't help.  Nor did re-installation with lots of reboots in between.
    AND, while I can't see anything on my new computer, it DID cut. 

I think I covered everything. Short of abandoning the whole thing, I'm running short of ideas.

No... it's about how much movement occurs when YOU are setting the origin. Do this as a test.  Don't have the blade holder installed and send something to cut without setting an origin at all. Make sure you hear the fan kick on when you go into the cut window. And then just click on Cut project.  See if anything happens.
    Sandy McCauley
    Actually, I believe you might need to do something in the origin window with the Zing Air.  Seems like someone posted that once.  So, go into that window and ONLY use the left arrow to move once to the left.  Then go do the Cut Project.
    Sandy McCauley
    edited April 2016
    test 1:  remove blade and just cut.  Result:  fan cut on, blade holder wiggled in home position, fan stayed on but nothing happened after than.  Turned off the machine to end the session.

test two.  I have an original zing but I turned machine back on, moved the blade left once (4 somethings or whatever the smallest setting is), did cut.  Fan stayed on as did black box but nothing happened.  Turned zing off to end that test.

Thanx for the ideas!

I did go thru the forum discussions but the only one I found was the ftdi (or whatever those letters are).  That was installed endless times endless ways with endless reboots.
    Okay... so you can set the origin but not get it do a cut. That sounds like something KNK USA will have to diagnose then.  I recommend starting a support ticket using this link:  http://knkusa.com/support-ticket-request/  or calling them during their business hours: 800-268-3672
    Sandy McCauley
    Sandy, let me ask a question before I submit a ticket.

My new computer is the biggest, baddest dog on the block complete with an ultra HD screen.  Well, it may be very spiffy but the ultra HD screen means the MTC display is totally hosed up.  There are things missing, things that are there but too small to even hazard a guess.  HOWEVER, I took this simple little single square file over to it, plugged in the zing.  By comparing the screens on two computers, I tried to cut the square.  It worked the very first time.  So I'm thinking this is not a KNK problem.  Given that it worked on another machine, wouldn't you agree that it's not a KNK problem?  I'd be delighted to follow that lead but i suspect they'll not take up the challenge.

I'm going to try (not tonight, too frustrated) to design a file, save it to a thumb drive, then try to repeat what I did with the square.  I have to accept that it's not pretty and it's not quick but perhaps with a magnifying glass to do only the cut, I can accomplish something.  Otherwise, I think I'm out of luck unless someone else has a new bright idea we've not tried..

But thanks for your attention.  You guys always try to bail me out of my (self-imposed?) sticky problems.

Thanks to all.
    Will do.  Have tomorrow AM slammed but hopefully can try in afternoon.

Have a good evening.
    I thought I had posted the resolution to this problem but apparently not. KNK helped me solve it. 

It seems the last time I tried this I was trying to calibrate for print and cut (yes, it's all very sad, but I still haven't mastered this.)  Anyway, the calibration settings on the Zing were set such that on the return to the home position just before a cut, the blade tried to position itself too far right.  There is a little mystery spring at the right above and behind the rollers that, when pressed, pauses the whole operation.  I could position the blade but when I said cut, the fan kicked on, the holder tried to return home but ran into this little button before getting there.  So the operation paused, the fan kept running,  and the only way I could cancel anything was to turn the machine off.  So, resetting the calibration via the wrench back to the default was the solution.  Several of you, I believe, tried to tell me that but, sadly, I missed hearing the solution.

Thanks to all but especially the man at KNK.  I would never have resolved this and eventually would have saved up money for a new machine, convinced that this machine, which does everything I need (except PNC!), was toast.

I believe the man at KNK was Don, but if it wasn't and the guy who helped me who isn't Don follows this forum, thank you so much for your help and patience.

E
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,401
    @dyslecix - maybe Ron? He is the technical dude, otherwise there is Chad, the VP and his Dad Gary (P), Lanela in the office, and Dawn, I believe that is it for employees, except maybe a warehouse person?? They are very small organization that provides very big customer service =)  Thanks for updating us...if you had installed on another computer, and tested there, it would have worked. =) That might have helped you realize that it was the changes you made that were causing the problem. =) Others have experienced similar issues when they have nodes or shapes beyond the left margin and the blade assembly hits the red button or kill switch on the left side. Will tuck this into my bag of tricks for future reference! Happy ongoing Cutting!
    Thanks for letting us know the solution. Will definitely have to remember that one. 
    Sandy McCauley
    @dyslecix  So did you successful calibrate for Print n Cut ?  If not when you build up the courage to try again you will surely find much help here
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!