We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

layered text [Resolved]

missy88missy88 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Resolved Issues
I am totally new to MTC software. I have black text with white text on top of it. I want to cut the black text on black vinyl and the white text on white vinyl. I want the white text that I have on top of the black text to be knocked out of the black text so that when I apply it I don't have vinyl on vinyl. How do I do this? Please help!
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,232
    Hi @missy88 and welcome to Make the Cut! (MTC) and its forum!

If you haven't found the "user manual" yet, you will want to and look through it throughly. You can find it through the "help" menu from within the MTC program. You don't mention the cutter you have, but that linked manual refers to using the Zing cutter initially in the first couple of chapters (but a lot of that information also applies no matter your cutter so its still good information to review). Starting in Chapter 3 I think, it is all how to use MTC no matter the cutter being used. I am sure @SandyMcC who wrote the manual has covered in detail how to do layered text and there are probably also videos linked on it as well.

Quick answer, based on the information you provided - there are a couple of different ways you can approach what you are trying to do. First, you will want to have the two different colors of text on their own layers within MTC. Put the black text on the bottom layer and the white text on the layer above the black text. Then you can open and close the "eye" on each layer for cutting as needed.

If all of your text is "layered" as you have indicated, then you can do a couple of things. First, you can leave both layers open and cut it all out in the black vinyl and then "weed" (remove) all the excess vinyl that you don't want or need - including what is "white" in your image. This will give you the result that you are looking for.

Another option is to "join" the white text with the black text so that it is "cut out". You could do just a basic join or use the boolean join to get the result that you want. (Note, if you do a join of any kind, it is going to put them together on one layer as one so it might be good to keep copies of them on separate layers either permanently or at least until you have the end result that you want so you can easily "go back" to the original text if needed later. I usually always try to keep "copies" of any "pieces and parts" that I work with.) However, when you go to "cut" it out of the black vinyl - you will still essentially have the same end result as you did with simply leaving them on their own layers and cutting both layers out of the black and you will still need to weed out the unneeded vinyl.

However note - that this assumes that you are putting this on a "white" item (like a shirt for example) - because by doing it this way - the "white" portion that you are cutting out would take on the color of the "background" item you are putting it on. If for example you put this on a red item, then where the "white" is cut "out" of the black vinyl - then the "red" would show where the "white" would be. If you want white and the item is not white - then you may still need to layer the white vinyl on top of the black vinyl.

One other note I will make - depending upon the "layer" look and thickness of the remaining black text - doing it this way may give you a fairly "thin" black outline that can be more hard to place and adhere then to do full black and white layers overlaid when adhering the vinyl (if that makes sense).

Clearly there are times that only having one layer of vinyl is important and other times where it really doesn't make any real difference in the final look and feel. When that is is clearly reliant upon the actual project and what it is being applied to.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • marsmars Member Posts: 1,118
    @MeFlick Great answer.

@missy88 welcome you to the forum
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,293
    edited November 2014
    I also covered this subject in the October 14th Q&A Webinar (vimeo.com/109125803). It was the first question answered and is within the first 15 minutes of webinar.
  • missy88missy88 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much. I believe you have answered my question. I did a test cut with the pen and it came out correctly. This forum is awesome! Thanks again.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,232
    Glad we were able to help you out. Happy Cutting.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!