We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Generic HPGL/HPGL2 Plotter Driver Plugin

PaulMPaulM Member Posts: 12
edited January 2012 in Wishlist!
Hi Andy, with the profusion of cutting plotters out there and pretty much all of them operating on HPGL/HPGL2 how about a generic plotter driver plugin that would address all of them - PLEASE ;-)
Cheers
Paul

Comments

• neldanelda Moderator Posts: 11,637
    @PaulM, Andy does not read every discussion, so you may want to send this to the support email address. Also, even though these machines use the same driver, he usually tests the drivers with the specific cutters - something that would be very difficult to do with so many different brands. Just a thought.
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/ Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit! Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • PaulMPaulM Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the advice Nelda
    P
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,563
    @PaulM,

Just to ease your mind, let me say that I have discussed this with Andy just a little bit. He told me that he is most definitely planning make it so MTC will work with these generic cutters. It's just a matter of time. I know he's got a few other projects he's working on, but he has told me twice now that he will do it, so I decided to stop bugging him about it and just wait till he can fit it into his schedule. Not saying you are bugging him or anything, just speaking for myself. :)

Cheers,

Gabe
  • ukcutterukcutter Member Posts: 1
    We are the largest supplier of HPGL cutters in the Uk and I have asked about the availability of drivers for MTC as there is absolutely nothing in the price range for our cutters with such features.

I am hoping it will be sooner rather than later we can get drivers sorted. I can test Liyu and Creation ranges easily.
  • CallTheMouseCallTheMouse Member Posts: 1
    I will be getting a SC Series Plotter from US Cutters soon, which is a Liyu cutter and I would be willing to test a generic HPGL plug in with MTC. MTC is so much easier to use than other software I have, I hope Andy can come up with a plugin. I'm new to the forum and have been doing a lot of reading. My eCraft just isn't "making the cut" for me for what I am trying to do :)
  • jeepers94jeepers94 Member Posts: 67
    I have a PCut CS630.It is one of the newer Creation cutters,with laser and media slot.
    It seems to be popular in the UK.I use the Black Cat drivers in MTC.It will also work as
    an HPGL cutter,but it is better using the BC plugin. You could also try the KNK plugin.

• IceBreakerIceBreaker Member Posts: 117
    Someone just posted that they got their Master Tiger cutter which is the same as the uscutter SC series or Liyu Sc series cutter to work using the uscutter driver. So i assume the SC from Liyu, or Uscutter should work then using that same driver. UKcutter could easily test that.

is it then safe to assume that many other chinese cutters would work using the same uscutter driver plugin? Most these cutters as i understand all use the same basic roland driver? (im just making assumptions here and thinking aloud)

If not i know there is signblazer which has all these various cutters drivers. The owner passed away and if i understand correctly that software is now "shareware" or what not? Is it possible to grab the various drivers somehow from this software? (Assuming that is legal to begin with but since no one truly owns the software anymore)

Either way id be willing to bet that uscutter driver/plugin we already have will power a good many other cutters.
    GCC Expert24LX
    I hear what you are saying IceBreaker and that may be fine to a point if you own an ancient pc/laptop but the driver only supports com ports and out my way the com and centronics port are long dead and only USB ports are available.
  • IceBreakerIceBreaker Member Posts: 117
    would serial to usb adapter then work? seems to be the common work around floated on the various cutter support sites. (for those who dont have serial ports on their pc/laptops)
    GCC Expert24LX
    I think we just have to accept that serial is dead long live usb ;)
  • DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 361
    @Paul:

You should probably qualify that statement as RS232, db9, dbxx?

USB = Universal Serial Bus (Yes, it's serial) So, no, serial is NOT dead.

I can hear the USB port saying, in his best Mark Twain impersonation:
    'The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated'

Dave
    Take your job seriously, take yourself lightly. Life's just too precious to be miserable.
    Still doesn't help me Dave as I only have USB!
  • gtoalgtoal Member Posts: 12
    the open source 'hp2xx' utility does a good job of converting HPGL to SVG which you can then import into MTC.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!