We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

ok i may be new to this but whats a boolean?

jcleithjcleith Member Posts: 4
edited January 2010 in General
i have been using make the cut since it came out but been hearing the boolean and i have not a clue what that is can someone tell me and show me

Comments

• iggyloveriggylover Moderator Posts: 11,513
    jcleith,
    stackyscraps is working on a tutorial even though she's VERY busy and traveling this weekend (bless her). Here is the thread where she mentions she may get a rough draft tutorial out before Monday.:
    Boolean Tutorial Request thread
    http://make-the-cut.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=826&page=1#Item_8
    Hope this helps.
    Jeanette
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke Jeanette in Orange County, CA Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera
  • blingblingblingbling Member Posts: 38
    I also am new to all of this but have learned A LOT since the program came out. I'm not sure what boolean is either but I know it's gonna be cool...
  • I have a video on this feature on my blog!
    http://www.scrapbookinggrandmacrafts.com/
  • waterrabbitwaterrabbit Member Posts: 2,217
    From wikipedia:

Boolean logic is a complete system for logical operations, used in many systems. It was named after George Boole, who first defined an algebraic system of logic in the mid 19th century. Boolean logic has many applications in electronics, computer hardware and software, and is the basis of all modern digital electronics. In 1938, Claude Shannon showed how electric circuits with relays were a model for Boolean logic. This fact soon proved enormously consequential with the emergence of the electronic computer. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_logic)

If you've ever used a search engine on your computer and included things like "AND" "NOT" or "OR" in your search field, you've used a Boolean logic function. The wiki article gets a little bogged down in technical speak, but it comes down to thinking of things in SETS or groups. (Remember drawing circles around sets of numbers WAY back in elementary school?)

Boolean functions allow you to compare those things - like saying "I want everything from set A that is also in set B AND in set C." When you were drawing those circles in school, that was the area the three circles intersected.

In MTC terms, it's a way to combine the different points that make up the images you're cutting.

And I've probably just confused everyone even more!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!