We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Speaking with the creators.

PattyPatty Member Posts: 54
edited January 2010 in General
Hello,

I don't have MTC yet but am interested in getting a third party program for my cricut. I don't know which one to get. SCAL or MTC. One of the responses or criticism of the MTC is that the creators are slow in returning an email and that it is a new program and that bugs need to still be worked out. Others say it is slow to draw or trace? I am not sure what they are talking about. It seems that many people love MTC and it looks very interesting to me, but I emailed the creators and have yet to hear from them. It has been several days. Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with the creators? Can anyone tell me why they would prefer MTC over SCAL? I know they are realively the same. Thank you,

Patty

Comments

• GaTechGalGaTechGal Member Posts: 898
    I should say that in a nutshell, SCAL2 has been around for a while and is a bit more stable in terms of how it runs and what features it has. But there is a learning curve with it, and to get regular JPEG and the like images into it, you have to use some other program (like the free Inkscape) to convert them to an SVG type file.

MTC has many of the same features, but it is newer and Andy (the creator) is working very hard to get into it all the features that the users have been asking for as well as working out the bugs that all programs have. The major feature that MTC has over SCAL is that you can bring in images directly into it and trace them, thus deleting the need for Inkscape. It's also much easier to use, so the learning curve is shorter.

But only you can make the call. Personally, I have both programs. I use SCAL for some things and MTC for others.
  • blingblingblingbling Member Posts: 38
    I luv luv luv MTC. I have no experience with Scal so I cannot compare the two. I do not have a lot of computer saavy but the people on this forum are great at offering their experience, know-how and expertise to one another. I purchased the program when it first came out and I can tell you from watching the forum, there are great things coming. I also know that Andy is diligently working on version 1.3.0 which is going to have some very cool updates and is due to be released very soon. Also, per Andy, there will never be a separate charge for updates. I, for one, highly recommend MTC. It is very user-friendly and I am very happy with it. There are many other great attributes like the library and the fact that I don't need Inkscape to make the program work.
  • iggyloveriggylover Moderator Posts: 11,513
    edited January 2010
    Patty,
    The creator is tucirc AKA Andy. He is super busy today both trying to pay his taxes and finalizing the latest upgrade to get it online for all of us impatient people. Most times, he is very quick and responsive on emails as well as trouble-shooting bugs. The program is on a discount while it is still being introduced and several members with blogs and websites have coupon codes available if you go to their sites - run a search for them outside of the forum. As for which program is better,
    here is a previous thread comparing the programs:
    http://make-the-cut.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=117
    It includes a link to a comparison chart between all the programs out there.
    Also, check out the testimonials thread that is at the top of the first discussion page. Those are honest, unpaid opinions of users to give you some reviews. HTH

Jeanette
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke Jeanette in Orange County, CA Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera
  • stackyscrapsstackyscraps Member Posts: 1,084
    I think Andy, the creator, is a little harder to get in touch with these past couple of days because he is busy making a new version for us and answering our constant requests for new things!!! I tried both programs and decided on MTC because I needed to google a tutorial for everything I was trying to do in SCAL 2 but found I could use MTC based on just playing around with it. Although there are tons of features I love about MTC, I would say that one of my favorite is Andy's guarantee that we will never have to pay for upgrades/updates/fixes. I also do not know the other developer but know that Andy has responded to every idea, good, bad, ugly, and crazy, and he listens to us, which is something I really appreciate.

Hope this helps,
    Stacy
    http://staclyscraps.com
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Member Posts: 1,183
    GaTechGal,
    It is a common misperception that SCAL still requires Inkscape, but SCAL has had the ability to trace jpgs since SCAL2 came out in July. Just wanted to clear that up.
    Here is my comparison chart. Am standing by to update it for MTC 1.3 and SCAL 2.009
    http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/cricut-software-comparison/

Kay (the other GTGal)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!