We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

I think I figured out the weld bug!

AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
edited January 2010 in General
OK... this is kinda exciting for me...

But, I need some of the advanced users help...

Here is the bug in general terms:
If you try to weld something that is drawn counter-clockwise to something that is drawn clockwise, it won't weld.
If you try to weld something that is drawn clockwise to something that is drawn clockwise, it WILL weld
If you try to weld something that is drawn counter-clockwise to something that is drawn counter-clockwise, it WILL weld.

How do you tell if something is drawn clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Go into shapeview dialog (shift+double-click on something)
Click on the first list item on the top right of the dialog, then arrow down slowly. You will see each segment hilited. If the segments hilite clockwise, then it's drawn clockwise, and vise-versa

If you all want, can you test this? I need to verify. If you find something that doesn't work like this, please attach the MTC file to your post.

Thanks!
I don't often test my code... But when I do, I do it in production.

Comments

• AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
    edited January 2010
    yeah... this has to be it..

The triangle in the basic shapes doesn't weld to any other shape because it's drawn counter-clockwise and all the other shapes are drawn clockwise.

I just changed the triangle to draw clockwise and it welds to all the other shapes

Now i just have to figure out how to programmatically tell if something is clockwise... and the bug will be fixed!
  • ScrapGuyScrapGuy Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2010
    That likely explains why something mirrored wouldn't weld with itself, either (since it presumably changes the direction?)

Good stuff!
    ah yeah.. that's exactly why. good point!
  • lindaj36523lindaj36523 Member Posts: 210
    Keep up the good work....we all are waiting patiently...
    Home is Where the Story Begins....
  • lindaj36523lindaj36523 Member Posts: 210
    btt...have to keep this at the top..so we can keep up with progress..
    Home is Where the Story Begins....
  • Beanie_ID62Beanie_ID62 Member Posts: 3,820
  • K_leeK_lee Member Posts: 6,416
    Getting excited, wooohooo!!!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    now to see how hard it is to fix LOL I know it can be done as it works in SCAL
    image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • waterrabbitwaterrabbit Member Posts: 2,217
    Well, at least until Andy does get it figured out, we've got some work around room. Mirror what you can and see how it all works out!
  • Bridge AceBridge Ace Member Posts: 62
  • KathyMKathyM Member Posts: 1,688
    (possible dumb question from someone who definitely has NO advanced-computer knowledge) Does this apply to the font weld to a shape issue, too? Are fonts usually "drawn" in a specific direction like shapes are?
    Is this where I'm supposed to say something clever?
  • waterrabbitwaterrabbit Member Posts: 2,217
    I think it depends upon the font. I've got one dingbat (Curious Device) that seems to have some "layers" drawn in one direction and others in the opposite. When I break a character and then go to weld it back together, it won't weld. But if I go though with the shift + double click and find the layer that is opposite the others and mirror it (most of these characters are symetrical) it welds perfectly.
  • stackyscrapsstackyscraps Member Posts: 1,084
    Hark and I really think you have hound it Andy (which I always had the faith you would)!! I have played with some of my stuff and found that when everything is clockwise or counterclockwise as you suggested, it works, but it does make me curious about what waterrabit brought up as well. I do have a font (and it is one of my favorites) where the Q does not show up properly, the outer oval of the Q is clockwise and the inner oval and the rectangle for the line on the bottom are both counterclockwise and it is one of my favorites, hope it can address that too!!! Hope that makes sense, I have been staring at it for days wondering why out of all fonts that one I really like had a letter that did not work, and now I know!!! So excited!!!
    yeah... fonts do that... the outside outline is going one direction and the insides go another.

I am going to just force everything to clockwise when it's loaded -- so no one will have to worry about what is going what direction... it will just work.
  • stackyscrapsstackyscraps Member Posts: 1,084
    That sounds so super awesome and perfect!!!!!! Love love love the idea!!!!
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Member Posts: 1,517
    Andy -

Wonderful that you found this. Once you lick the weld thing, if you can then concentrate next on "smoothing" of traced .jpgs to improve the MTC experience when cutting - that would put me in MTC heaven!!

Pat
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
  • The Biscuit ScrapsThe Biscuit Scraps Member Posts: 334
    When it comes to all the little elves inside my computer that make it work....I know nothing.

I'll just sort my photos for my next album and dream of all the titles and shapes I'm going to weld when ya'll fix it. ;-)

Thank you.

c.
    I noticed a few graphics have parts that go every witch way so I had no idea how that would weld so if you force everything to go one direction (and I have no clue what this means) will that also be the same with graphics?
  • ConiCutsConiCuts Member Posts: 1,673
    Not sure if this helps, but I've been trying to make a word book using this owl and the letters wouldn't weld to the owl. However once I mirrored the owl, it did. Wish I would have know this before I made my book...LOL
  • lucylogiclucylogic Member Posts: 104
    Well I'll be blowed!!! Know exactly what you mean because if you are right handed and you draw something then ask a left handed person to draw the same thing you will find that they will be drawn differently. They usually start in a different way eg circles in particular. Right handers start at the top and go clockwise but lefties will start in a different part of the circle and go counter clockwise. I suppose this is the easiest way of explaining it all.

Clever you Andy for noticing this. Hope you can find how to fix it. Probably a little batch file would work.
    I just wanted to say I use to think I knew my way around a computer pretty well but you guys rock and I now feel like I am in kindergarden all over again giggle
  • K_leeK_lee Member Posts: 6,416
    Hey, lol, I'm a lefty and I draw my circles right, lol, but other stuff I do it backwards, lol..........
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • KwiltKwilt Member Posts: 1,360
    ...wow...interesting!!!
    Proud MTC Member Since: 12/25/2009

LOVE ♥ LOVE ♥ LOVE MY 15" KNK MAXX!!!!
    MY BLOG: CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND COFFEE
  • cmargmcmargm Member Posts: 658
    I ditto what Beanie said. I used to be able to program, etc. but most is now beyond me. This is terrific :<)
  • lucylogiclucylogic Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2010
    I have to say I never took any notice of how righties and lefties used to draw or write until I started teaching, then it became quite noticeable whenever I used to mark their work. I'm not a computer techie by any stretch of the imagination though I have worked on computers since their inception but what Andy said made sense to me, though how it could affect the weld I'm afraid I don't know. Might even be a case of sweet versus sour and only 2 sweets and 2 sours work together lol
  • mom6hsrmom6hsr Member Posts: 277
    wow, Andy, never thought of the way it was drawn, but that would make sense since when you transform it you change its direction depending on what you do to it.

good luck!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!