We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting double sided adhesive foam

NomadNineNomadNine Member Posts: 3
Hi All,

I’m after some guidance for a task I would like to try out. I am new to using Cricut having bought and repaired a secondhand Explore Air 2 machine. So far I have yet to carry out any projects other than an initially machine set up that proved that the machine was working OK but the blade needed replacing.  

I would like to create and ultimately cut out some shapes that can be used to stick on badges from classic cars without using the original pins - don’t want to drill the bodywork but stick the badges on like modern cars. For this I need to create the outline, which I can do, but then I want to prepare the shapes and use thin (about 1mm) foam that has adhesive on both surfaces and has a mounting layer on both sides.

Can the Cricut machine be used for this and if so what is the best blade or tool to use? I’m concerned that the adhesive will bung the blade up or it will drag when cutting. Or would it be better to use a laser cutter mounted on a CNC machine?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 11,007
    @NomadNine - what is the brand name of the product you want to cut? Knowing what it is, what it's chemical composition, etc. would help.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • NomadNineNomadNine Member Posts: 3
    I hadn’t explored products that far as it was exploring options. However, having now had a look around it would most likely be something like 3M VHB 5952. This sort of thing that is strong more reliable for outdoor use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221955379768
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 11,007
    edited July 13
    @NomadNine - putting the cart before the horse then? LOL can't give very good advice without information on what you are cutting. =)

If you go laser route, check that this product is safe to cut with a laser, and will give a professionally finished product. A lot of items are not good laser candidates. And there are different classes of laser, the inexpensive laser cutters don't work with a lot of products, they are only good for etching.

The material is 1.1 mm thick so should cut ok. The best test is a test with a small piece of the media. Should be able to find this in a small quantity.

Bung up the blade, yes very possible. It might also cut like butter. I have cut a non foam double sided adhesive - Sookwang - it cuts fine. I check the blade afterwards and clean it if there is any residue. 

Good luck with your testing.
    Post edited by Liz_A on
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • NomadNineNomadNine Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your feedback and I will give it a go. Sometimes it is necessary to ask for advice before you waste money or, worst, wreck your machine. If someone has experience that prevents that is not putting the cart before the horse but a stitch in time saves nine ;-)