We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Which Brother Scan n'Cut?

RolandKRolandK Member Posts: 2

I am thinking of buying a Scan n Cut machine for the specific and limited purpose of making vinyl stencils for acid etching of glass, and these will not be particularly large – no more than 8 inches square.

I’m looking for a machine on the second-hand market – eBay being the most likely source I suppose, but I’m at a complete loss to know what model of machine I should be looking for – so far I’ve been unable to find any information on the Web that gives clear explanations of the features/differences/advantages/disadvantages etc of the various models available – CM300, CM800, CM900, SDX etc.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction,please?

Answers

• MendyRapaCatMendyRapaCat Member Posts: 506
    I love my 24" Blackcat and my Cameo!
  • RolandKRolandK Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply but the Silver Bullet description doesn't mention vinyl cutting and as I live in UK and I've not seen that make of machine advertised here it's probably not for me. Can anyone give advice on Brother machines that seem to be the most widely available on the UK second-hand market?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,990
    @RolandK we should have clarified since you are new here: welcome to the Make The Cut! (MTC) software support forum, where we support users of the software Make The Cut! and its supported cutters. MTC does not support Brother cutters at all. So while a few of our users may actually have a Brother, they definitely wouldn't be coming here to support them. MTC is actually considered by many of its users as abandonware, so there is less and less visits here. We do have a huge resource of information in our archives, which is likely how you ended up posting here.

Best to search Facebook for Brother SNC groups, or the Brother support pages. You will get answers there likely a lot sooner than here.

Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,315
    Just one other note, almost any of the electronic cutters on the market can cut vinyl. It is not that difficult to cut. It is probably one of the easier things to cut and many of the original plotter/cutters that were out there before the ones aimed at home crafters came on the market years ago, were for exactly that, cutting vinyl.

For specific information on the. Brother line, I would look to find the Brother site and see if they have a FAQ section or a comparison chart.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)