We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting Mylar Stencils

eggplantladyeggplantlady Member Posts: 1
I am so new that I don't even have my cricut maker yet, but I want to buy one!  My primary purpose is to cut stencils for using with dyes and paints on fabric.  I saw a video on youtube showing 6 mil stencil blanks being used with the maker, but ideally, I would be able to make thicker ones.  Does anyone here have any experience using 10 mil stencil blanks?  Does anyone know if it would be possible to cut 2 (one at a time) at the 6mil size and then use adhesive to attach them, thus making a stronger stencil?  TIA!

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,990
    @eggplantlady - Welcome to the Make The Cut! software support forum, where we support users of the software Make The Cut! and supported cutters. MTC does not support Cricut cutters. There are indeed people here who have cut thicker than 6 mil stencil materials, but they won't be using MTC, so they likely wouldn't come here to see what's going on in the Cricut world.

That said, yes cutting 2 and gluing them together is very possible and likely would work just fine. You will need to experiment to find how that would work. I have cut several layers of cereal box cardboard and glued together for a stronger piece. Your Cricut maker should be able to handle 7 mil. What will definitely be needed is a super sticky mat, the stencil material brayered to the mat, and then the edges taped down with masking tape for additional holding support. Fresh blades (by the way stock up on blades, as mylar will wear out your blade very quickly) and slow and steady speed, with perhaps two passes should work.

Good luck!

Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.