We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

mtc and pdf file import

dargusdargus Member Posts: 36
After all these years of using mtc, I just realized that you can import a pdf file.   So I had a file that I tried to save as a pdf but it shows up as acrobat not pdf.   I went on line to see if I could find out how to do it, but the instructions did not work.   

Also is mtc still available for sale.   Many friends have asked me about it.   I normally download all my purchased svg to mtc and then export to design studio so I can cut on my cricut.   But I don't like the cricut software and it has no shadow feature.  The shadow feature on mtc is so simple to use.  
I see that this forum shows mtc is available for sale, but not sure if that is still the old ad.   Ok Thanks if anyone can help.  

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,640
    I'm not sure if  Mtc is still for Sale or not - I would suggest DO NOT BUY IT
    It would appear there is no official support provided for MTC

For $US50-60 Sure Cut a Lot can be brought it is quite similar if function to mtc,
    has some functions mtc does not,  is still currently supported by its developer , can export Design Space compatible SVG file and there a excellent user manual https://www.iloveknk.com/support/sure-cuts-a-lot-scal-support/

MTC can Import Vector Pdf files If the file contains raster content the option to trace will be suggested
    MTC can also export vector pdf files using File>Export
    this is all explained in the user manual   https://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/

A Acrobat file is a pdf file I think you may have been reading the file type rather than the file etc
    as windows by default hides file extensions

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,990
    @dargus - Adobe Acrobat pioneered the PDF document format, and most computers will come with Adobe Reader as the default program that opens PDF files. So that is why for PDF files you see the Acrobat icon, just like you would see MS Word icon for a .docx document or the Make The Cut! icon for a .mtc file, and so on and so on. Each file type will have a default program that opens it, if not then the computer asks you to pick one.

Design Space (not Studio) is the current Cricut offering. Not sure why you are taking purchased SVG files into MTC to export for Design Space (not Studio), Design Space supports SVG files, so the step to MTC is redundant. 

MTC is being sold once again, sales stopped for a while but they are back. We suggest caveat emptor if you want to purchase it. And what Mr Zing said. Cheers!
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • dargusdargus Member Posts: 36
    regarding the pdf file.   The file was saved as a pdf, but shows up as adobe.   So when I go to open it in mtc beside the svg inmport button, there is one that says pdf.   but when I click on it, it does not recognize the file as a pdf so it does not import.   The reason I import files to mtc is because if I want to add a shadow it's easy to do in mtc.   But not at all possible in cricut ds.    I also have an old version of mtc and not sure if I can still update to a more current version.    Since I was still using my old cricut I could cut directly from mtc.   The new cricut explore air that I bought last january does not work from mtc, but I can upload my files to cricut design space so that has been working for me.    The other problem I am having is that a friend told me to purchase Silhouette software because some functions like shadow and transferring files to svg is easier in silhouette.    So I bought the full software package, but now I can't figure out how to use it.    I watched a few videos, but I am just not getting it.   Tried to contact Silhouette but they have not responded to my e-mails.   When you are 74 keeping up with technology is a challenge.    So I like to use mtc because i am pretty familiar with it and it mostly does what i want it to.    When I go outside my comfort zone is stressful.   Thanks for your help. 
    @dargus - MTC only imports PDF files IF they have vector data. So that means the PDF you got is not vector it is more like a jpg or png file - raster data only and NO vector data. Adobe is the name of the software that will open a PDF. Adobe opens it if is blank, if it is raster data or if it is vector data or a combination of all of that. MTC does not, and of course you have to import PDF into MTC, it does not actually open them.

OK that makes sense about adding the shadow to your file before taking it to DS, MTC is so good for that.

MTC is still quite useful...while I am trying to use SCAL more now, I still love my MTC! It's always open. Some files in SCAL won't let me ungroup things, so I can open in MTC and do the Split function, and then export again and I can ungroup in SCAL. I think we need lots of options cause not one program is the do all to be the end all!

Don't be stressing over things...if you need more help, please do come and post here, we monitor the forum quite regularly.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,640
    I maybe be easier if you post the one of the file your working with there we can see
    I sure we can get you sorted

use this button to attach the pdf file

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,887
    MTC will import PDF files that have either vector or raster data. If there is a raster image present, you will see the following blue lettering at the bottom of the import window after you have selected the PDF file. Clicking on the blue lettering will open the PDF image into the Trace window:

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    If this doesn't solve the issue, then posting your PDF file as @Crazy_Mr_Zing suggested, is the next step.
    Sandy McCauley
  • dargusdargus Member Posts: 36
    ok one more question.   Every once in a while and not always, when i try to add a shadow to my letters, I cannot control the size.   Tonight I used a very simple font, and spread out the letters so there will be room for the shadow.   I did not want the shadow to touch the letter next to it.   No matter what I did the shadow filled in around all the letters and was probably 2 times the size of the original letters.   
    I even closed my file and retried it and had the same thing happen.   A few weeks ago I was working on a project, shadow worked perfectly.   then I had to change the size of my letter so went back to my file and had the same problem.   The shadow was really large and I could not control it.   Any ideas.   

Have loved mtc for many years.  Never did the upgrade because I would not have been able to use my cricut.   But now have a new cricut, so wondering if I can still get the upgrade and would it be worth it to do that, or am I asking for trouble with new software.   Sometimes the old stuff does what you want it to and new software is challenging.   thanks. 

@dargus - what units (in or cm or mm) are you using for the shadow? What font is it?
    Please watch this video and see if there's something different you're doing compared to what I show:  

Sandy McCauley