We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Fonts MTC - SCAL

PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,276
@SandyMcC - Hi Sandy - I have a question. I noticed that when I now add fonts to MTC (installing them permanently) that they are not staying in the list. Not sure why. Thought you may have an idea. Does SCAL allow you to permanently add fonts like MTC?

Thanks for you help. Happy Holidays!!!
Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,955
    @Penny - what fonts are you trying to add to MTC? Where are they located on your computer? I just tested and no issues, so it has to be something unique to your environment.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,276
    @Liz_A - These are fonts (ttf) that I had installed for years in MTC and I noticed they were missing and reloaded them again from a folder I have on my D drive. I always "permanently" install them. Not sure why it does not keep them once I close the program. Driving me crazy. Does SCAL allow you to add fonts permanently. I know I need to change over to SCAL - just haven't taken the time to learn the program.
    edited December 2020
    @Penny = ok your D drive, do you keep it connecting and powered on all the time?

Installed in MTC fonts should appear in this folder path:

C:\Users\logged in username\AppData\Local\Make The Cut! Library

I loaded a font from my attached H drive. In the permanent_fonts.fnts file in that folder, when opened in Notepad, shows that the file still lives on the H drive. I haven't turned off the H drive since I installed it.

ÿþÿH : \ M y F o n t s \ S L F - O P F   P i n w h e e l . o p f 

So I turned off my H drive. That font disappeared immediately from MTC, then when I restarted MTC with the drive turned off, it wasn't there. Turning on the drive with MTC still there, didn't come back. Didn't come back after shutting down MTC, drive still on, MTC reopened, nope not there.

So put the font where it will always be accessibly to the computer. In order to get the font back I had to reinstall it, but I did that by copying the file onto the C:\drive. That little bit of code at the beginning (   ÿþÿ) is binary code and it obviously tells MTC something we cannot decipher.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    This is what the .fnts file now has, this file was updated only AFTER I shut down MTC.

ÿþÿ+C : \ U s e r s \ L i z \ D o w n l o a d s \ S L F - O P F   P i n w h e e l . o p f 
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,871
    Regarding the SCAL question, it's "no" unfortunately. You can only load them for temporary use... at least that's been my experience. 

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @Penny - I believe that SCAL would handle the font in a similar manner. It puts the font into the Library = Fonts tab, but I don't see any text file with path to font information like what MTC has. There is a My Fonts folder in C:\Users\logged in user name\Documents\Craft Edge path, but there isn't anything in mine, no font files or text files with path instructions even after closing SCAL. After closing SCAL, reopening it, that font isn't anywhere, so it must just be a temporary thing. I'll check the manual, it might be you have to save the text but not convert it to a path.
    OK in SCAL it is a temporary install. If you do not convert the text to a path, then you would be prompted to locate the font again when you open the Project (I do not believe that this would work if the file was an SVG, SVG files do not retain font information).

Hope that helps!
    Thanks Sandy!
    Thank you @Liz_A and @SandyMcC. Will check out the Users file path. As of my "D" drive, it is connected at all times. Too bad SCAL doesn't let you permanently install the extra fonts you want. 

Happy Holidays to both of you!!
    @Penny - Happy Holidays! If the fonts you want in SCAL are not too numerous, just install them, and they'll end up permanent in Windows\Fonts and all programs can use them =).
    @Liz_A - that is what i figured I would have to do with the fonts I want to use. Thank you.
    edited December 2020
    @Liz_A - just looked at the file name you gave me above. The one I loaded yesterday was listed. What I am thinking is that maybe I did not have my "D" connected when I went to use MTC. I just loaded about 5 fonts from my "D" drive, closed MTC, looked in the user file (all listed), opened MTC back up and they are there. This getting old is getting to me. LOL - As they say "Operator Error!" I think what I am going to do is put my extra font folder on my "C" drive. This way I do not have to worry about the "D" drive being connected.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
    @Penny - oh honey we are all getting there! Old that is! I have to keep info in text files, ha ha!! Merry Christmas!