We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Silhouette Portrait 3 - Cut lines not consistant

PongkanPongkan Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone,

I recently started cutting my own stickers and purchased a Silhouette Portrait 3. However I'm noticing two problems with the machine. I'm not sure because it's of my own handeling, or because there is something wrong. 

1. The cut lines are not consistent. On the picture you can see that on the left, the cut lines are good. But on the top right, the cut lines are very thick on the bottom, while almost not there on the top. 

2. It takes me a lot of tries for the machine to register the paper and start cutting. The print comes out perfectly and I think I'm putting it on the cutting mat correctly. It rarely auto registers and I have to do it manually most of the times. But even with manual it takes multiple tries to register the paper.

Really appreciate your help!

Pongkan

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,843
    @Pongkan - the Portrait 3 is relatively new to the market, but there has been lots of complaints about the Cameos having issues with print and cut, which is what this process is known as. Where are the registration marks? I don't see them. What is the paper, it looks like a heavier cardstock, how thick is it? It could be the colour of the paper AND the Silhouette cutters are quite blind, they need A LOT of light so that they can detect the registration marks. I would suggest that you check on the Silhouette America Cameo/Portrait pages and start with their support. And did you calibrate your cutter? https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/printer-friendly/faq/calibrating-the-silhouette-for-proper-print-cut-registration-alignment
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    @Pongkan - also what blade are you using?
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • PongkanPongkan Member Posts: 3
    @Liz_A - I've made a picture of the registrations marks: 

The paper is 180 grams, not that thick. Yes I've read about the lights. I moved my big spot lamp next to it, so there is sufficient light there. However, still the same issue. As for the blade; I'm using the one that came with it, the autoblade. 
    edited December 2020
    Remember these cutters only have force to a maximum of 210 gf (gram force) compared to other cutters on the market that have 800 or 1000 (Cricut Maker has 4 kg of force). While the paper may not be very thick it may be very dense, or very fibrous. I would suggest try getting one of the other Silhouette blades that can cut up to 2 or 3 mm thickness. There are known issues with Autoblade that have not yet been resolved. And then one other thing to try is to have 2 passes so that the blade can finish cutting through on the second pass. Stabilize the mat so that when its cutting neither of the ends of the mat hang out and bend downwards, put books or something to support the mat. Letting the mat bend down will cause inaccurate cutting, it should be going in and out on one level plane.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,857

Typically, on inexpensive cutters like the Silhouettes and the Cricuts, you will experience drift, which is a progressive inaccuracy in a print-and-cut application. In other words, it starts out cutting perfectly around the printed shapes but gets worse as the cut continues due to a weakness in the design of the cutter itself. These cutters tend to have a lot of plastic parts and are simply not strong enough to overcome the slippage that's occurring as the mat moves in and out of the cutter.

You can try a much slower speed to see if that improves the results. Otherwise, if you NEED better results, you're best bet is finding a cutter brand, such as Skycut, built with steel axes to provide precise print and cut results across a full sheet of small shapes, like you're attempting to cut.

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • PongkanPongkan Member Posts: 3
    @Liz_A - Thank you Liz. I will try to do it with a book and I'll also look into another blade. 

@SandyMcC - That is what I thought as well. I will try a slower cutting speed, thank you. 

One of my main problem still persists though and it is getting very annoying. The machine doesn't detect my register marks even though they're very clear (and correct) on the paper. I also made sure there is enough light.. Is this a fault in my machine?
    Only thing that comes to mind...make sure the laser or light reading the marks is not cloudy because of condensation, or just dusty from local environment. Do you smoke near your equipment? Smoke will adhere itself to any heat source objects. The other trick is to use a fine tip Sharpie pen, and carefully with a ruler or thick enough rule to go over the reg marks.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,857
    If you haven't yet watch the entirety of these videos, please do.  One thing about setting up a PNC in Silhouette Studio, is that you must do things in a specific order. Also, there are other tips that can help make a PNC successful:

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/