We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting clothing patterns

nascholnaschol Member Posts: 2
There are a lot of clothing patterns you can download as a larger paper format that would not print on common printers used in the home, normally.  Consequently, the pattern pieces are shown a full pieces, not those you have to cut and tape together.

I have several of those and sent them out for printing, but with the 15" and 24" Silhouettes we have now,  I have been thinking about converting the pdfs to studio3s and trying to cut pieces for sewing.  I'm thinking that you could spray glue the fabric and only cut the non-fold part by placing it against the edge of the mat.

Has anyone ever tried this?  I'm curious about any successes, failures and tips.

I have arthritis and cutting is one of the hardest thing I do in sewing, whether with scissors or rotary cutters.  :-)

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,843
    @naschol - we have several sewers in the MTC cutting family, however I am quite sure that there are not a lot that actually use a cutter to cut out large pattern pieces. To be honest, there is a lot of work prepping the fabric, making 100% sure that every square millimeter of it is well stuck to a very sticky mat, that you have stabilized the fabric with something, either iron on or spray on, etc., etc. I think from personal experience, cutters are great for piece work such as quilting or patch work, but I would be very frustrated using that process for larger scale clothing items. Just Google cut fabric with Silhouette to see some videos on how people may be doing this. I don't use a Silhouette any more, so I am sure regulars users would lots of tips and tricks. I do know VERY sticky mat, stabilized fabric, fabric brayered to mat are 3 absolute requirements.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • nascholnaschol Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your input.  In this year of wearing masks, I have been successful cutting many, many masks with few problems.  I do starch my fabric and haven't used the strong stick mat, but did find it important to re-stick the mats before they lost too much "stick".  The few problems I did have were from letting them go too long.  While that wasn't such a big deal on a small area of quilter's cotton, I can see where it could be a pretty expensive mistake on nice clothing fabric.

Maybe, I'll just stick with cutting the pattern pieces.  :-)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,843
    edited November 2020
    @naschol - when I did A LOT of sewing, I invested in high quality roller blade cutting tools, high quality large sized self healing mats, and a large mat protector for the dining room table so I had a lot of space to layout my cuts. I would line up a few projects and just cut for a few hours, store those til I ready to assemble and sew. I did the same for mask making, stacking my fabric so I could do a few cuts at the same time. 
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.