We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Portrait 3 not giving option for "Pop-Out" cutting

jweaverjweaver Member Posts: 3

I have just bought a Portrait 3, specifically for Vinyl and its amazing..

I am looking to see what else I can do with it and Mattless "Pop-Out" cutting is appealing, but I can't find the option

I have followed the manual (and set Cutting Mat to NONE) but Pop-Out Cuts does not appear as an Action..

Here is a video of what I am doing

https://youtu.be/tUN8BcSnLf8

To me this just looks like an oversight in the software as I know the feature is supported.. Has anyone else manage to get Pop-Out cutting to work on a Portrait 3

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,843
    @jweaver - welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum. The Portrait is Silhouette's newest line of cutters. Given that it is so new, Make The Cut! will likely not support it, and we are brand independent, ie, we don't support cutters using other software.

Contact your seller, or Silhouette America directly:

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/contact
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    edited November 2020
    - Make sure you have the latest version of the software.
    - Make sure you have chosen the correct cutter
    - Make sure you are using AutoBlade (the cutter has to detect it, I believe)

I think the issue is that you must use the AutoBlade, and the cutter and the autoblade must be detected for those options to be available.

Maybe most importantly, PUT SOMETHING on the mat to cut!!!
    Post edited by Liz_A on
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,857
    I only have the Cameo 4, but pop-out cutting does work on it. Unfortunately, without having a Portrait 3, I can only provide so much guidance.

First of all, as Liz stated, check your Silh Studio version number and make sure you're on the latest. 

Next, on the Design tab, set Cutting Mat to None.

Insert your cardstock into the cutter.

With the AutoBlade mounted, click on the Send tab and select Cardstock, Plain (for now as a test).  

The Action should change to Auto (Pop-out card) automatically.  It does for me with Portrait selected as the cutter.  On the other hand, the Silhouettes are a bit too "smart" and it could be saying to me, "I don't care if you have Portrait selected, you're connected to a Cameo 4."  lol

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thanks, @SandyMcC! My screens matched the poster's except I put something on the mat, but with no Silhouette connected and no AutoBlade, I figured its not going to work.
  • jweaverjweaver Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2020
    Thanks all.. I have fixed it and it turns out to be a mixture of a fault and an oversight in the software.

My Portrait 3 can't autodetect the blade... It shows "undetected" unless I put pressure on the top of the Autoblade with my thumb.. I have written to Silhouette about this and am awaiting their help.

Here is a video of the fault incase you are interested

So I have to set Autoblade manually.. And I have realised that when you do this, you DO NOT get the Pop-Out cut functionality... If I set the blade to Auto and press the blade with my thumb so that its recognised, I now get the Pop-Out function.. But I obviously can't use the cutter like this.

As such, I either need to get my fault fixed.. Or Silhouette need to change their software so that Pop-Out cut works when MANUALLY selecting Autoblade.

I have writen to them about both of these, but have had no response... So I just have to wait.

Thanks for trying to help.. Its appreciated.

Jon

@jweaver - thanks for letting us know your solution, while not ideal perhaps you can get done what you need to. I know Silhouette takes a couple of weeks to respond to issues, hopefully they do get back to you. Do you think it could be the AutoBlade itself? Maybe @SandyMcC may have some insight, she has been working recently with Cameos and AutoBlades.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,857
    edited November 2020
    The only thing I've read that's similar and it comes up on the Cameo Facebook groups several times a week, is that when mounting the AutoBlade, you need to push down on it with one hand, while pulling up on the blade holder seat with the other hand. This way you can make sure it's full pushed down into place.

Otherwise, I would say you either have a defective AutoBlade or a defective cutter. :(
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • jweaverjweaver Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Both.. I have tried every way possible to seat the Autoblade.. But every time it ends up with one of the following.

1. Undetected
    2. Flipping back and forth between Detected and undetected (and the app refreshes each time)

The only way I can get it "detected" is to gently push it back (towards the sensor). As soon as I do this it detects, but then I cant us it.. As soon as I let go, it goes back to one of the 2 statuses above.

I have written to Silhouette with 2 problems:

1. The apparent hardware fault that I have.
    2. The fact that you can't use all of the functionality (i.e Pop-Out cut) when you manually select autoblade.

To be honest, the "autodetect" functionality isn't a big deal for me.. If I could get 100% of the functionality by setting the tool manually, I wouldn't be too unhappy.