We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Very shiny paper

DreamStreetRoseDreamStreetRose Member Posts: 232
Can very shiny paper (gold) interfere with the cutting; the plotter? I was cutting some very shiny gold paper earlier. It was cutting off the paper; mat....weird!
A grandma's name is little less in love than is the doting title of a mother. -- William Shakespeare

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,728
    @DreamStreetRose - I have cut mirra paper (shiny metal colours) with no issues with several different cutters. Make sure the paper is well adhered to the mat as in my experience it tends to be more prone to popping off the adhesive. I tape the corners.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • DreamStreetRoseDreamStreetRose Member Posts: 232
    That's a possibility. A couple times lately, I haven't had the mat under both pinch wheels.
    A grandma's name is little less in love than is the doting title of a mother. -- William Shakespeare
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,761
    If it's cutting off the paper, it sounds more like an issue with how the origin was set before cutting. There are still a few lingering bugs with MTC and the Zing, although I've mostly forgotten what they were.  But I do remember it being important to minimize how much movement is needed to get the blade over the corner of the paper (if you are using Knife Point mode) or making sure the laser light is over the corner (if you are using WYSIWYG mode).  To avoid wasting any of this paper, maybe try the test pen and a sheet of copy paper just to make sure that works before trying with the blade and shiny paper again.

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,267
    That's a possibility. A couple times lately, I haven't had the mat under both pinch wheels.
    This is extremely important to make sure that the mat is always under the pinch wheels on both sides.  If you don't, it will not hold the mat properly and will tend to move and slide. As a result, your cuts will not be in the correct places.  I would suspect that that, along with the items noted from Liz and Sandy are the issue(s). Definitely make sure the pinch wheels are always on the grit shafts.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)