We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Opinion Best machine 2020

DreamStreetRoseDreamStreetRose Member Posts: 227
My Zing is still working well, after all these years. But I would like to start planning for my next machine. I do like MTC...used to it! So, in your opinion, what is the best machine today, that is compatible with MTC. 
A grandma's name is little less in love than is the doting title of a mother. -- William Shakespeare

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,620
    edited September 2
    I doubt there any machine that is currently sold new that is directly compatible with mtc

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • redheadpuppyredheadpuppy Member Posts: 6
    I am so glad someone asked this question. Unlike DreanStreetRose, I am a total newby to all this. Does anyone else make cutters? Or is Cricut the only game in town. I have a strong IT background so making things connect is what I do. Bluetooth doesnt scare me, but that is where my confidents wilts! I would be totally appreciative of any opinions you may have. I am planning my retirement for next year and this looks like fun. Any thoughts?
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,757
    Cricut is FAR from the only game in town.  Your choice of the next cutter depends on what materials you want to cut and applications (print and cut, engraving, scoring, foil quill, drawing, dual head functionality, etc.) are important to you.  Like Crazy Mr. Zing said, none of the newer cutter models will cut from MTC so changing software will be a requirement. 

I've been supporting Skycut cutters for the past few years and I love them.  There are several models but all three have exceptional print and cut capability.  They connect via USB or Wi-Fi and cut from several different software programs (I personally prefer Sure Cuts a Lot). They're sold by Plotter Geeks here in the USA and have other dealers in various countries around the world.  

I'm also currently contracted to write a user manual for the Cameo 4 which has some interesting features.  It's easier to learn than a Skycut but definitely cheaper in terms of construction. It connects via USB or Bluetooth.  It cuts from either Silhouette Studio or from Sure Cuts A Lot. 

If you have specific questions about either of these or other cutter models, definitely post back. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,725
    @DreamStreetRose - I started buying KNK cutters when I purchased the first of the KNK Zings when they were released, and of course using MTC, which I still love. I bought the KNK Maxx Air next and the KNK Force after that. If you are really wanting to stay with MTC I might suggest you watch out for a used Maxx Air. They are a very powerful cutter compared to the Zing, and they work with MTC. I love my Maxx for how dependable it is.

If you're willing to step out of your comfort zone and learn SCAL, then you open up a whole world of cutters...literally it supports a ton of them!! You can look into SkyCut, but may find that they are on the pricey end of the scale if you want dual head for example.

Stay away from Cricut...while its newer cutters have tempting features, their software is so basic that I don't know how they stay in business. Guess Cricut cutters wear rose coloured glasses.

Cameos are good cutters, but as Sandy mentioned they aren't really in the big boy league, slow to cut and they are horribly noisy. 

Julie has a FB page for selling used craft cutters here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/387448384793419
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • DreamStreetRoseDreamStreetRose Member Posts: 227
    Thanks SO much, everyone. I downloaded SCAL demo last night... (this morning!) I like it! The Skycuts seem to be made to last. Maybe with the experience I've accumulated through the years (along with ya'lls help) I could figure it out..i like their 18" model.
    A grandma's name is little less in love than is the doting title of a mother. -- William Shakespeare
    Twenty-four hours ago, I thought Cricut was the only craft cutter out there. I wanted one so badly. Then this morning I stumble on this forum and oh my.. what a blessing! I am pretty much sold on the Skycutter 16, and am not certain how I will exist until I get it..(insert heavy whining!) This will be my transitional hobby after my retirement. So looking forward to reading all the posts to come.
    > @redheadpuppy said:
    > Twenty-four hours ago, I thought Cricut was the only craft cutter out there. I wanted one so badly. Then this morning I stumble on this forum and oh my.. what a blessing! I am pretty much sold on the Skycutter 16, and am not certain how I will exist until I get it..(insert heavy whining!) This will be my transitional hobby after my retirement. So looking forward to reading all the posts to come.

Right there with you. I just retired too! Congrats to us! It's so great to get back to my passion. Saving my pennies! These ladies (and guy) are the experts, when it comes to cutting machines. I wouldn't do anything without asking them first. ♥️
    Congrats to us and the next chapters of our lives. Isn't this a fun hobby? I can't wait to get started. Best of luck to you.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,757
    I wish BOTH of you very long and happy retirements!  :smiley:
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thanks Sandy!
    > @redheadpuppy said:
    > Congrats to us and the next chapters of our lives. Isn't this a fun hobby? I can't wait to get started. Best of luck to you.

And you too!