We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

remotely power scan n cut

Tickledpink1Tickledpink1 Member Posts: 2
You know those ideas that come to you in the early hours and won't let you get back to sleep? They all stem from the Scan n Cut for me. So this morning at 4.34 am I awoke with one of these ideas.

I wish to remotely power my Scan n Cut using a battery source. My trawling of the internet has taught me that I need an out-put of 24 volts. I am looking to plug the Scan n Cut into the power source. I have trawled the internet to find a solution but sadly my knowledge is not broad enough to find the answer. So I have decided to come to a forum to find a possible answer in another direction. 
Imagine where, and what you could do with an external power source for your Scan n Cut? Now you see my problem of the early hour ideas that won't let you get back to sleep.

Please could any one put in their pennies worth and point me in the right direction, or put me out of my misery and tell me it is not possible. 

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,272
    edited August 20
    Welcome to the Make The Cut software support forum where we support users of the software and it’s supported cutters. Unfortunately the Scan n Cut line is not one of those. Further, the software has not been updated in many years and, as a result, we get little traffic here any more and definitely not many Scan n Cut users. As a result, I don’t think you will get much help here. That said, I have been using these types of cutters for years now, ever since the first Cricut was released.  So I do have a good general knowledge of how one uses them so I guess my question is simply why? Why would I want to turn the power on to my cutter remotely? You still need to be at the cutter to place the media in and out to cut. What do you think you gain to plug it in and start remotely? Granted, I do not have a scan n cut, so maybe I am missing something. I understand wanting to power somethings remotely and we do have some things in our home setup to do so with Alexa devices and plugins like lamps, fans, etc so the idea is not foreign to me, just not sure what you gain starting a cutter remotely.
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,746
    @Tickledpink1 - MeFlick makes good points...why would you want to remotely control the power?

That said, Geeni makes smart power bars that allow you to plug in devices and power them via an app on your phone. Each plugin on the power bar is independently controlled. So someone has already invented these things.

A guy I worked with used them to program lights in his kids room, so they knew it was time to stop reading and go to sleep. But that's not cutters.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • Tickledpink1Tickledpink1 Member Posts: 2
    I wish to take the scan n cut to craft fairs that are often far from conventional power.
    Thank you for your input.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,272
    edited August 20
    So your desire is not really to start it remotely, but rather have an ability to provide power to it when too far away from conventional power. Would most of these craft fairs be indoor or outdoor? I ask because there are options for outdoor that might not work for indoor like portable generators.
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,746
    @Tickledpink1 - KNK used to have a power cord for the KNK Zing cutter that was powered by plugging into your vehicle's cigarette lighter outlet - they created it specifically to a vocal crafter who kept asking for it =). You'd have to start the vehicle every once in awhile to prevent the battery running down. Otherwise you need to power an external source like a generator as MeFlick describes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=small+generators&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS892US892&oq=small+generators&aqs=chrome..69i57.4869j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.