We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Can the Cameo 4 cut cork fabric matless?

ALaurisALauris Member Posts: 4
Hi!

I would like to purchase the Cameo 4 to cut mainly cork fabric (not cork board), but since my pieces will sometimes be longer than 24", I was wondering if it's a material that can be cut matless. Has anyone ever tried it?

I was also wondering if it was possible to have the material be bigger than the mat, if the part that needs to be cut does fit on it. This way, I could always finish my cuts by hand if it's not possible to cut the cork fabric matless.

Thanks!

Audrey

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,679
    @ALauris - good morning and welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum where we help users of the software Make The Cut! and it's supported cutters. The Cameo 4 isn't fully supported, older models would be.

For the correct answer to this please consult with Silhouette America itself. The rule of thumb to follow is IF the media being cut DOES NOT have a backing of its own, like heat transfer vinyl, or regular vinyl, then the answer is NO, you need a mat. What do you think is going to happen to those little bits that get cut away from the fabric? There is nothing to hold them in place, and they will fall out having nothing to keep them in place and possibly get rolled around the roller bar or get up into the blade housing. So with no backing you need to use a mat.

You also need to know what is the maximum width your cutter can cut. The mat should be large enough to support all the material being cut, or again what is hanging off or over is going to cause you issues. 

You can look online for resources where you can order a custom mat. Again, check to see what are the maximum cutting widths for your cutter. It might be 14" wide, but the blade holder is on the left of the blade assembly and distance from its tip to the right side of the cutter is a no cut zone.

Hope that helps!
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • ALaurisALauris Member Posts: 4
    From what I understand, with matless cutting, the machine leaves these tiny tabs where the material isn't completely cut, so that it stays in place. If it would do that with a whole sheet of cork it could technically work.

I didn't know you could order custom mats. I'll look it up, thanks! I was wondering if the software would let you cut larger, but I guess if you enter your custom mat as a matless cut with backing, I don't see why not.

I emailed Silhouette America with my questions, but I haven't heard back, unfortunately. And since cutting long cork pieces is what I need it for, I really have to get those answers before ordering.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,722
    Based on the videos I saw originally, the matless cutting of unbacked materials was targeted more for easy-to-cut materials like light weight cardstock versus fabric.  Have you searched You Tube for videos on Cameo 4's mat-less cutting?  Or looked at the Silhouette America's website for more info on it?   
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • ALaurisALauris Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I read that! Thanks! I'm just not sure cork fabric could work for matless cutting. It has some rigidity, but it's still pliable, like leatherette. It's also possible I could add some stabilizer to it. But I would have liked to know for sure it's doable before making that kind of purchase
    @ALauris - you can either get your toes in the water or ask on a more appropriate forum or Facebook group, like this one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/248564816074076/