We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Can you cut from a piece of material that's longer than the mat?

ALaurisALauris Member Posts: 4
edited July 13 in General
I don't have a vinyl cutter yet, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to get.
The Cricut Maker seems like the best choice except for one issue: size.
I will need to cut belts (long rectangles) with intricate cut-outs only in the center. So I'm thinking I could have the Cricut cut out only the intricate part, and I could cut the rest of the rectangle by hand with an exacto.

But can you cut on just a portion of a long hanging sheet? Or does the sheet have to fit inside the perimeter of the mat?
Also, in the design on the photo, is there a way for the Cricut not to cut out the right edge of the belt? To leave it open so I can cut the rest adjacently and not have the belt in piece?
Post edited by ALauris on

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,746
    @ALauris - this is the Make The Cut! software forum, where we support the software Make The Cut! and its supported cutters. The Cricut is not supported.

I would not recommend the Cricut cutters because you have to use their very limited and almost primitive software. I do not know how it would manage anything longer than it's 12" x 24" mats. You would need the ability to create a custom mat size otherwise the software sees anything longer than the mat as out of range for cutting.

You may want to extend your cutter search further and look into something a little more industrial like the SkyCut line of cutters:

https://plottergeeks.com/
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.