We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Make The Cut and Cricut Maker

jmaximjmaxim Member Posts: 2
Does anyone know if Cricut Maker will work with Make The Cut software version 3.2?  I have had MTC for years and have the old plug-in that works with my old Cricut but looking to upgrade.  Right now I design in newer version but cut from 3.2.

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,762
    @jmaxim - no Make The Cut! doesn't work with ANY Cricut cutter. You should check out Sure Cuts A Lot. The latest version of that software PLUS a plugin that can be found on the internet may work with the Maker in a limited capacity, meaning it won't support the variety of tools that the Maker has. And not print and cut.

ProvoCraft sued MTC (twice) and two other software developers. The developers lost and were required to destroy their code, to cease and desist producing a product that worked with Cricut cutters forever more never allow their product to work with Cricut. That's pretty final.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    PS MTC never worked with Cricuts beyond the Expression, NOT the Expression 2, not the Explore, etc.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • jmaximjmaxim Member Posts: 2
    @Liz, thank you so much for your response. I am using the original Cricut (the first one that came out). I purchased MTC prior to the ProvoCraft lawsuit so was grandfathered in and can still use version 3.2 with my (very old) Cricut. This was allowed as long as you had the plug-in.  I absolutely love MTC and would love to continue using it but really need to upgrade my machine.
    @jmaxim - definitely, although I understand that ProvoCraft wanted the list of purchasers who bought the software before the lawsuit, but that contingency was not met (and in the details of the original lawsuit, they did specify that any users of the software were also culpable). So you can use the software until a computer operating system will no longer support its code. We have not had an update to MTC since 2013 (there was a bug fix in 2015) so its just a matter of time before this all stops to exist (forum, MTC website) and eventually a version of the Windows operating system won't support it. The Mac version doesn't work in the Mac's current environment. We are recommending SCAL to any new people, it will support Cricut IF you find and download the appropriate 3rd party plugin not associated with SCAL but works in SCAL. SCAL is actively supported and updated regularly with bug fixes, and like MTC has an extensive User Manual developed by Sandy who authored the MTC USer Manual. SCAL comes in both a regular and pro version, and also native programs for both Windows and Mac.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,798
    With SCAL and the Maker, you also cannot cut directly (same legal issue), however,  you can use SCAL5 for designing and then use File>Export to save as an SVG file to load into Cricut's Design Space for cutting.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,251
    Do your design in MTC and "export" as an SVG. Make sure you know the size of your design since Design Space brings the design come in larger. Upload it into Design Space and change the size back to what it was in MTC. I do this all the time. I have SCAL but haven't work too much with it. I need to since MTC is eventually going to be going away as Liz said.
    Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien