We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Beginner Foiling Issues

Bela83Bela83 Member Posts: 2
edited April 10 in Resolved Issues
I need a bit of advice if anyone might know.

i am trying my hand at foiling a card insert.
i bought a laser jet printer recently new and I have various makes of foil, from unbranded eBay foils to We are memory keepers as well as various types of paper card and vellum

when laminated to transfer the foil, the lettering is great but on the blank page is covered in the foil too.

i originally thought it was stray toner so cleaned this out but it’s still the same.

i decided to foil a blank piece of paper which hasn’t been near the printer and of course, it’s foiled the paper.

any foilers out there who have experienced this before and might have tips on what I might be doing wrong?
ive tried cold lamination up to 125mic so unsure if it could be a laminator problem or maybe all the foils I own might not be the best.

testing this out before I consider buying a Minc and maybe one day I can afford a cricut 😂
Post edited by Bela83 on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,578
    @Bela83 - which foil is being used when you foil and get a complete page without toner? There are several different types of toner, some are heat reactive - which means put in the laminator and it reacts to the heat. If the whole page gets heat then the whole page gets foil, where foil touches it. Other foil is reactive to heat only where there is toner. So you need to use the right foil. Do your research! Good luck!
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • Bela83Bela83 Member Posts: 2
    > @Liz_A said:
    > @Bela83 - which foil is being used when you foil and get a complete page without toner? There are several different types of toner, some are heat reactive - which means put in the laminator and it reacts to the heat. If the whole page gets heat then the whole page gets foil, where foil touches it. Other foil is reactive to heat only where there is toner. So you need to use the right foil. Do your research! Good luck!

I think you may have hit the nail in the head 🤦‍♀️ I have many types of foil as I have a foil quill pen and been doing foil calligraphy and in the back of my mind, I think this is hot foil and not reactive. I didnt even think there was two different types of hot foil 😑

Thanks so much, I’m new to mass foiling so it’s still a work in progress 😂 x
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,578
    @Bela83 - yes FQ foil is the one that is heat reactive. If you still have the foil in its packaging it should clearly indicate what type it is, otherwise its a guessing game til you try it. Have fun!
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.