We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Another SCAL Question help please

lwebblwebb Member Posts: 37
I've been offline for over a year but back at it and trying to remember the how to. For some reason, Craft Edge and the SCAL forum will not let me log on?? I tried contacting Craft Edge but have not gotten any response.

I'm on a Mac with Mojave OS and use Illustrator CC 2019. I use SCAL 4 and both a Zing and Zing Orit. I create my files in AI and then open them in SCAL. I have done so for several years before my year long absence.
Now when trying to cut simple AI sent to my Zing. It cuts normally but adds a final rectangular cut the size of the document? In some cases that  would be fine but I frequently cut designs that are already at the max width the cutter will cut without crashing. What am I forgetting to do?
Thanks in advance
Lanny

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,497
    @lwebb - that would be the mark made by SCAL because it is not properly registered.

Go here: http://craftedge.com/support/lostserial.php to retrieve your registration/serial number in order to continue with using SCAL 4 without that demo mark.

Then check to see if you need to get an update for SCAL 4 for your Mac. 

http://craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php

Once you get it all updated, then you should be good. I recommend that you download a copy of the SCAL 4 user manual written by Sandy McCauley.

https://www.iloveknk.com/0um/SCAL4/SCAL4-User-Manual.pdf - should help shortcut your return to cutting!!! Yay!

• lwebblwebb Member Posts: 37
    Thanks Liz, But.. My product is registered and activated.  I'm using the most up to date version 4.075 and  I have my registration number. The extra cut is a rectangle the size of the document, not the water mark. It doesn't prevent me from cutting a decal or mar the decal it just restricts the size I am able to cut by unnecessarily adding to the overall size. I already have the user manual from June of 18. Any other ideas?

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,568
    Once in SCAL you should be able to delete that cutline
    you may need to use ungroup or break

I wondering if its related to artboard being included ?
    What version of AI are you using and are you Saving As or Exporting
    and to which file type ?
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @lwebb - I think that Mr Zing has the answer...when you export from Illustrator it includes the "page" or art board in its composition. To not have that you need to unselect the option Use Artboards in Save screen:

5286-export-svg-fig1
    Thanks, I've done this same process for ? 5-6 years or whenever SCAL came out and always just saved the AI file? Never needed to export it. But yes it cuts the Art Board now? Never did before? I'm on an iMac with Mojave and Illustrator CC 23.01.
    I can give exporting the file a try but it adds an extra step and I'm not familiar with SVG files. I assume you are suggesting export as SVG? Just use the defaults?  
    I must be missing something or I've somehow changed my settings. Like I mentioned, I've never had to export before.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,634
    It's ALWAYS a good idea to check your Layers Panel before cutting (in any software). So, just find that rectangle layer and delete it if you can't figure out what changed in AI to cause it to be included in your saved file.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited February 10
    @lwebb - sometimes we do the same thing so many times we don't remember exactly what we were doing, we just think it was one way when it was not LOL! You can save your work as .ai by using the same Export function, choose your file extension = .ai and choosing not to keep the artboard. Once that option is selected, then you just have File => Export, choose extension, name your file. I don't see that being a whole more work, LOL! And as a last resort Sandy's advice works.
    Thanks again but I always make sure there is only one layer with no extraneous artifacts and I make sure all guides are removed, nothing is grouped or compound It's a clean layer. There's no placed art. It's all vector? It's cutting a rectangle for the artboard? There really isn't a rectangle layer?
    I guess I'm being picky but just typing command S seems a lot easier than  File => Export, choose an extension, name your file.
    I'm thinking my upgrading to the latest Illustrator and Mojave may be the culprit but it really doesn't make any sense?   I guess I can just make sure that the artboard is just a fraction larger than the art but again that's just another added step. I'll keep plugging.  This was just a straight vector cutting vinyl on one of my Zings. I haven't even touched Print and Cut on my Orbit!
    @lwebb - can you send me the .ai file and I'll experiment if that's ok with you. No worries if not. You could create a sample file with just a circle and a square, and save it as you would normally to send.

ackerliz at gmail dot com
    Hey Liz, That's very gracious of you. I know it has to be some setting in the illustrator file but I just don't see it. All the strokes are .125 pt in thickness. There are no fills, no compound paths and nothing is grouped. I've removed all the guides? The Zing settings are pretty much defaults

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,568
    edited February 12
    What options are you setting when you save as svg in AI

This doesn't seem to happen with windows version of AI (22.01) and Scal 4.078?

I create a few copys of your file from the windows version of AI
    maybe they will help pinpoint something ?

TrunkBlack 4 up Windows.svg
    TrunkBlack 4 up Windows.ai
    TrunkBlack 4 up Windows (Use ArtBoards)-01.svg

Been some time since i tinker with svg from AI
    from memory one of the differences between save as svg and export as svg is that export only include the visible layer and or object

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @lwebb - I was able to bring your file into SCAL5 and there is no extra data. Differences: I use the option WYSIWYG, you have Origin Point - I changed mine, it just changes the location on the mat to the bottom right. Yours does show a border around it, mine does not. I am using PC and the latest version of SCAL. I think by looks you are on Mac?

@lwebb - Yes you are on a Mac. The only thing I can suggest is that this is a bug. Sandy McCauley has both PC and Mac so let's have her test the file! She also has SCAL4 installed, I removed mine, so can't test. It works great in SCAL5.
    @lwebb or SCAL5 handles the artboard better? or default ignores it?
    @lwebb - @SandyMcC has tested your file as well, on a Mac in version 4 of SCAL. She does not get the same results as you, so she doesn't get that bounding box either. It's a puzzle!
    @lwebb - can we suggest that you visit Craftedge and make sure you have the most recent version of SCAL 4. There is an option on this page:

http://craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php

Liz you and Sandy are the best. I'm pretty sure I have the latest SCAL 4 I have 4.075
    But I found the problem. I just don't know what causes it. I created another.AI file, smaller, easier to work with. It opens in SCAL with a "Clip mask" at the bottom. I don't think I ever opened the layers pallet in SCAL before. Always just send a one layer AI file and it's worked for years?  If I delete this Clip Mask layer it doesn't print the artboard. But why does it come in with a clipped layer?  Is there a setting in Illustrator I've checked and didn't realize it? Or is it in SCAL?
    Mr Zing, I just save my AI files as AI files and open import them into SCAL? I've never used the SVG format before. It's worked great for years?
    @lwebb - I am pretty sure that just saving as .ai the clip mask = art board is saved as well. I read a lot of posts about that, and the only option is to use the Export option, even though it's .ai, you still have to go this method. Choose the file type, then Uncheck the option for the artboard as illustrated above in an earlier post of mine. OR now that you know about the clip mask and you can delete it in SCAL, maybe that's simpler.
    @lwebb - I wouldn't worry about why the layers in SCAL use terminology thats not familiar, its the way it is. SCAL uses whatever data it's given based on the imported filetype. In your case each letter becomes an entity of its own under the global folder. I have learned its just the way it works, LOL! In MTC it imports as one lump sum object, with no break down at all. I would have to Break to get what SCAL does.
    Lanny, I need you to do a VERY back-to-basics type of test for me so that we can see what might be going on.    I need to you open Illustrator fresh and do not import any type of templates or other files or anything at all, even if it's something you've done in the past. I need it to be just a basic fresh opening.

Then, please add a SINGLE basic shape... square or circle... that's it, to the screen. Then, again, without doing anything at all, File>Save and then see what happens when you import that .AI file into SCAL4.  If you see the exact same thing again, then please email that file to me and I'll send it to the developer after verification. 

Thanks!  We'll get this figured out.  :) 
    Sandy McCauley
    Lanny, I'm guessing that you assume you're on the latest because you're using the Help>Check for Updates function? That's broken and can't be trusted. I don't see that big rectangle around the shapes, so perhaps it's because I'm on 4.094.  So, go here and enter your serial number and you should then get a link to 4.094:

http://www.craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php

If that does NOT cure the issue, then perhaps it's because my Mac is running Catalina. That's the only other thing that I can see would be different. 

Sandy McCauley