We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Recommend a good cutter?

noodlecakenoodlecake Member Posts: 1
Hi!

I'm thinking about buying a digital die cutter for cutting out 3D shape nets and intricate, detailed patterns for my fine art sculpting/casting. I plan on mostly cutting out cardboard (of various thicknesses) as well as possibly foam board and maybe chipboard too but I don't necessarily need to do that.

The Cricut Maker sounded like the best option but when I read the one star reviews on Amazon everybody is complaining about how terrible the software is that comes with it and how difficult/impossible it is to get it to cut out custom vector art designs imported from Adobe or Corel software. I'm assuming that Make the Cut is a bit better in that regard.

Do you guys have any better suggestions for a die cutter that will meet my needs?

Comments

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,695
    Because you want to cut such thick materials, I would recommend a laser cutter... possibly the Glow Forge, as your best option.  Drag blade cutters are typically not very good with really thick materials and even something like the Maker can require 10 passes at a very slow speed in order to cut through anything thick.  Plus, thick dense materials wear down the blades rather quickly, too. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,622
    @noodlecake - Sandy's recommendation is excellent, she has worked with drag blade cutters in a professional capacity for many years. So for her to recommend the Glow Forge means a lot to me! You would find that because the cutting blades can only be so small to be at all useful, but in thick materials they may have the effect of sawing it creating rough edges. The Glow Forge laser would cut smoothly. And yes the Cricut software is HORRIBLE. That from a self described software guru, I have used and trained thousands of people over 30 years of computer use on a huge variety of software...it is one of the worst. Totally illogical.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • RabannaRabanna Member Posts: 1
    I also recommend Glow Forge, it should fit the one that you are looking for.