We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Egg stencil

I am using mtc on air max to make stencils. I have imported sv g file and trying to make stencils but it's cutting out the entire picture (old time truck). The stencils is just the outline of the truck. Do I need to somehow due a negative of the sv g ?? I have imported sv g before and made stencils but this is more detailed. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,594
    Are you able to provide a screen capture or the source of the svg file ?
    so we can see what your working with
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,674
    As Crazy pointed out, a screen capture would be very helpful.  I sense that what you're needing is to bridge the outside with interior shapes so that they don't "fall out" when cut.  Here's a video showing how you would start doing that in MTC:

https://vimeo.com/60854970

Even though this is for lettering, it's the same issue / same solution for other designs. 

Depending on your final applications using the stencil, it can sometimes be better to cut your stencil from, say, vinyl so that the bridging isn't needed at all. Instead, you can transfer all of the interior shapes along with the outside to the surface to be painted or etched or whatever.  You can even transfer everything to the final surface and then weed out the parts that need to be exposed. 

So, you might want to also explain more about your plans... whether or not the stencil needs to be reusable or is a one-time application just for you.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • junko77junko77 Member Posts: 4
    This is the svg I imported.

I watched the video and have used the break/erase features to make bridges. I did do this for the wording on my svg picture Welcome, and tried to put bridges in around the tries, etc. but when I cut it I still am only getting some of the details.
    I am using 7.5ml mylar because I reuse the stencils.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,580
    @junko77 - you need to add a rectangle behind the truck, and then do a Join, the rectangle to the truck. Now do the bridge thing for inner bits. When you are done (I did not do the bridge work), this is somewhat what it would look like:

The red is your stencil, the white is where you add paint to make the stencil. Again, you need to do the bridge work, otherwise the wheels and details like the hood, windows, etc. will get left behind.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.