We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Just purchased new cricut explore air 2

dargusdargus Member Posts: 30
I see that the firmware is 4.14.  Is that why I can't cut from make the cut?  Is there anything I can do to change the firmware?

Best Answer

Answers

• dargusdargus Member Posts: 30
    Is there any machine that I can buy that will allow me to use mtc?

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,568
    Due to the makers of cricut taking legal action support for cutting to cricut machines was discontinued 

an option is export your MTC project as SVG and import to design space 

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I was aware of the legal action, but did not think about the firmware issue till I tried to cut tonight.   First time using the new machine.   Design Studio is way beyond my level of understanding.   I love mtc.   What other new cutters would work with mtc?  Thanks. 
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,497
    @dargus - there hasn't been any development in Make The Cut! to support any new cutters at all since 2013. Consider it an abandoned software. You would only be able to use it with KNK Zing, older Silhouette cutters, older Pazzles, etc. I suggest you take a big breath and click on over to CraftEdge.com and purchase Sure Cuts A Lot. It will work with pretty much any cutter EXCEPT Cricut and Brother SNC cutters.
    That does take a big breath.  I have downloaded a large manual for cricut and it says I can open svg files in cricut.  I was also told on this forum to export my mtc files as svg and import to design space.   I have no idea how to do that, because when I save my opened svg files where I store them  they are saved as mtc files.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.    I have purchased a new cricut, because where I live we only have access to the cricut machines, mats etc.   I don't even know anyone who has anything different than a cricut.  This is so stressful.   I love MTC.l  at my age learning all new software is a challenge and Design space was never easy to use unless they have changed it, but from looking at this manual it does not appear to be.  thanks. 
    thanks will try that.   
  • PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,227
    @dargus - When using MTC to make your svg files, you want to export as svg. The svg files you save from MTC will be larger when you upload them into Design Space. Make sure you pay attention to your file size (height & width) - you can then adjust the size in Design Space. I have also ( while in MTC) adjust my file to 80% which in turn makes it the correct size when you upload to Design Space. Hopefully I have explained this in a way you can understand. I use MTC all the time to make or work on my files and then upload to Design Space.
    Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,634
    To export in MTC, you need to first select the shapes and then go to File>Export>Sel. to SVG File.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I think I am making progress, slowly, learned about the 80% when I opened a file in ds.  the file has 4 rectangles that are evenly spaced to allow me to make a 10 x 10 frame with the 4 mats 2 horizontal and 2 vertical, and I would just trim 1/2 inch off my paper after I cut.   But now when I tried to use the file on ds, it moved my paper to the top, so I guess I have to now add another square to the outside to trim the edge.   This is a big learning curve for me.   Thanks for your help.   Hope my note makes sense.   I am not very computer savy, and I just love mtc, found it so easy to work with.  
  • OldGoatOldGoat Member Posts: 1
    I am using MTC v3.2.0 (2010 version) with my Cricut.  As long as I don't upgrade MTC I am good.  If you can find a copy that old it may work with your Cricut.  I am using an old Cricut and have not tried MTC with newer models.  So I am not 100% sure that even my old copy of MTC will work with a new Cricut.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,497
    @OldGoat - the poster has a Cricut that is not an Expression, Mini or Cake, which are the only models that were supported by any version of an earlier MTC. The Explore Air 2 is considered a new generation of Cricut. The older ones are now considered legacy by Cricut and have been abandoned for any support.
    I believe the problem is that the cricut explore air 2 which is the one I just bought, has upgraded firmware, I don't remember the number, but it's 4.something.  I remember my old machine cricut explore was version 3.something.   I have the old version of mtc and it worked fine on my old cricut.   Problems arise on the new machine.   Having lots of issues with new cricut.   Even their tutorial has a known issue and these machines have been on the market for a while.  The machine comes with cardstock enough to complete a card, and you can't add the embelishment cause there is some kind of error.   What kills me is that they know that and have known it for a while.   thanks to everyone who has offered help.