We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC 4.1.0 under Ubuntu using VIrtualBox

3v03v0 Member Posts: 23
Have MTC 4.1.0 running under
  • Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS 
  • VirtualBox  (VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.2.34_Ubuntu r133883)
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 
I purchased MTC prior to the provocraft lawsuit and am connection to a cricut expression.  This is the only version of MTC I have tried.

This is what I remember about setting it up.   If you want to do this reply here and I will create another virtual machine documenting the setup step by step assuming you have already installed ubuntu.  I plan to do this at some point so I can replicate it myself.  Just a matter of when.

1. Installed VirtualBox, VirtualBox-ext-pack, and VirtualBox-guest-additions from the ubuntu package manager Synaptic.     Do not use the installation from within virtual box.
  2. Enabled VirtualBox USB and COM3 (in my case).  This has to be done with the windows 7 virtual machine stopped.
  3. Downloaded the driver from within MTC.   Help>Advanced>Download and Install FTDI XXXX drivers.
  4. Select cut project
  5. "Do not use serial port" should be unchecked.
  6. "COM3(FTDI Serial Port)" should be selected and work.
I'm unsure about the order of 2 and 3.  Could be you have to do 3 to discover that the cricut is connected to COM3 in the windows device manager.