We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

any chance of a gcode driver some day?

gtoalgtoal Member Posts: 19
I've used MTC for several years - initially on a Cricut then on a KNK.  I now find myself doing a lot of CNC work and I was wondering if it might be possible to do some 2d cutting or engraving using MTC... have you ever done a gcode driver or have plans to do so?  I know I can work around it with SVG files and conversion programs but it would be nice to cut directly from MTC or at least output cutting instructions (in gcode) to a file if not directly to a device...  gcode is fairly general and supports a lot of devices but I was thinking specifically of the current generation of tabletop milling machines like the Sainsmart Genmitsu 3018 range that have a GRBL controller.  They cost in the same ballpark as a vinyl cutter and behave very similarly apart from having more control in the Z axis than a vinyl cutter.

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,251
    edited January 9
    The developer of MTC has not been active on this forum in 3 years now. (According to the date last visited in his profile which shows Jan., 2017. 😔) it has not been updated or changed in anyway in about 6 years now. Based on that information, I don’t think the developer/owner will see your question here nor do I think there is much of a chance that a gcode driver will be developed. 🙃 That is the unfortunate reality with MTC. As compouter systems and OS continue to move forward, we will also lose the ability to use MTC at all without updates or changes, it is already happening. I hate it, as I love MTC. As an owner of a CNC, and other tools besides a cutter, I would love MTC to work with them directly. For now, I use it and export out SVG files and wait for the day I am forced to abandon MTC because I can no longer use it, 😢
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • gtoalgtoal Member Posts: 19
    Shame.  Mind you shows what robust software it is since I've been using that old version all these years with no problems. I hope he wasn't driven away by legal pressures from Cricut.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,578
    @gtoal - he may have been. There was an undisclosed out of court settlement. Who knows what that entailed. He did return to full time work with a well known IT company.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • 3v03v0 Member Posts: 23
    You might want to look at Millright for engraving.  Not free but interesting.
    http://www.hugequestions.com/MillWrite/

Maybe Andy will put MTC into the public domain rather than have if fade away.

I mostly use MTC with a cricut for cutting small engine gaskets.  Window system crashed and lost the use MTC for a while.   Found my key and managed to get it running in virtualbox on ubuntu.   Posted about that.

3v0