We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Stencil pulling up painted letters

JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 1
Hi! I’ve been trying to make a wood sign with Oramask Film 813, and paint. I use mod podge to seal the edges, and 2-3 light coats of paint applied with a sponge. When I peel up the stencil, it peels up the painted letters like it is one sheet. I don’t know what to do?

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,716
    @JordanD - sorry this isn't really a forum for what you are doing, although someone might have some knowledge they would not be coming here to share it. Welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum, where we support users of the software Make The Cut! and its supported cutters. It appears cutting is not the issue, it's more technical than that. I would google search oramask film not sealing. It is likely that the surface is not sealed enough and therefore you get what you got.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,598
    edited January 10
    There's a name for that technique, I just can't remember it.  Example: you paint the wood white.  Then you prepare a stencil with letters cut, but not removed.  After the paint has dried, apply the stencil with the letters and then immediately peel off everything except the letters.  Then paint over everything with a different color, for instance, blue.  Let it dry and then peel off the letters.  If the paint tries to peel off as you remove the letters, you can easily cut around the letters with an Xacto knife while you peel the letters off.  When all the letters have been removed, you'll wind up with a blue background with white letters.

I think it works with any vinyl that is not super sticky.  If the vinyl is too sticky then it will peel up the paint as you remove the letters.  I'm not sure if the Mod Podge would help or hurt the project.  Try it without the Mod Podge and use a regular, or low tack, vinyl.  You can usually find that kind of vinyl at Walmart's craft section, or Joanne's Crafts or Michaels Crafts.  Low cost for it too.

Use a sealer, like a spray can of clear acrylic, after everything is dry.  That will help it stay nice looking for a long while.

At any rate, you can likely find a lot of good info with a Google search, including YouTube videos.

>>> Oops!  I didn't see your picture before I wrote the above.  Since you want the wood to remain looking like wood, you should paint the table top with clear acrylic first and let that dry.  Then apply the low tac vinyl and remove the letters.  Paint the letters and wait for the paint to dry completely.  Then peel off the stencil.  Hope that works.  Again, look on Google for example and directions.  You can also try the "Teach Me That" group on Facebook.  They mainly work with garments, but there are a lot of people there with a lot of experience with different techniques.  If they can't help you, I'm pretty sure they can point you in the right direction.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231582063714254/

Note: my previous suggestion of asking SandyMcC has been removed, based on Sandy's message below.  I think the most helpful information you can get would be from YouTube.  I searched and found quite a few videos about stenciling onto wood:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stencilling+on+wood
    Post edited by Gabe on
    @Gabe - I am not sure that the KNKZing group has a lot of experience in this type of application, in all the time I have been a member I don't recall anyone asking about this technique. I could be wrong, but in the meantime I would search for answers elsewhere. The Teach Me group would be most applicable.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,755
    I have a lot of experience helping people design and cut stencils but I personally have never stencil painted anything in my life!  lol  Well, I did airbrush stencils a few times but that was on cardstock... no wood applications.  Also, seems like those who were on the KNK Zing groups were only asking design questions versus asking for help with the application itself. I agree with Gabe and Liz... either go to Facebook or You Tube. :) 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I agree @SandyMcC - I did a stencil recently, dismal failure, the vinyl did not stick very well to the wood (it won't if the wood is not absolutely, thoroughly dry) and the wood was so fibrous that everything just feathered. The stencil was fine, but the application of paint/stain was flawed.