We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Used Cameo and registering it

bluecorebluecore Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!
 My husband bought me the new Cameo 4 for Christmas. YAY!!!!   I gave my Cameo 2 to a friend but she cannot register it.  It appears that she cannot proceed through the set up process without entering that.  What to do?

Thanks in advance!
~Becky

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,744
    edited December 2019
    @bluecore - Welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum. I'll definitely assume your friend is not using MTC, but rather the Silhouette Studio software. Did she have a CD to install software for the Cameo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUUQun36z3k&app=desktop
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • bluecorebluecore Member Posts: 3
    She does not have the CD to install the software as I wasn't able to locate it (4 years and a move to another state.... who knows where it ended up :wink: )
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,623
    edited January 5
    The most current version of silhouette studio can be downloaded from here:
    https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software

Post edited by Gabe on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • bluecorebluecore Member Posts: 3
    Yes, she located the software for download, but it is asking for the sn of my Cameo 2 and then states that it has already been registered.  Can she proceed without registering the Cameo and use it?
    @bluecore - did you use a paid version of the Silhouette Studio software?
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    @bluecore - you have to contact Silhouette Studio to deregister your old cutter or she will never be able to use it.
  • kleber314kleber314 Member Posts: 7
    I to bought a used cameo 4 and just of 49.99 to up grade to designer addition and it’s not allowing me to. I need to get this de registered from the first owners name
    @kleber314 - no you cannot deregister the name of the person who bought a license for software, and then they sold the cutter and a copy of the software. Period. Done deal.

You can download a free version of Silhouette Studio. You should be able to use that version with no issues. You cannot use the software that was purchased by someone else, that is against the EULA.
    PS You also need to create your own account at Silhouette Studio. You can't use the previous owner's account.
    then they need to refund my money, I didn't know I had to jump hoops to up grade. I will just use the free addition if they don't want my business,
    how do I go about getting a refund?

edited October 14
    Funny no response when asked for a refund. I will wait for the company to respond to my email. I heard they will dis register the first owner, it’s been done for a few people already. If your not 100% sure about a question, you shouldn’t answer it. Yes I made my own acct already, I have no ties to the person I got it from
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,272
    This is not a Silhouette or Cameo support forum.  It is for a 3rd party software program called Make the Cut that has been abandoned for several years now.  As a result, there is little traffic here anymore and most people come occasionally but often ignore the questions that don't relate to MTC.  Liz was trying to help you even if it was not the answer you wanted.  The information provided was what was true in the past.  They may have from time to time deregistered the machine from one user and registered to a new user.  That is not the norm.  If you needed a refund or help with deregistering the machine then the simple answer is what you did - contact the company support for the machine and software in question. No one but they can help you with your issue(s).  Pretty simple and you have done that so now you must wait and see if they reply and give you the outcome you desire. Hopefully they do. 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @MeFlick - thanks for the back up! I appreciate you.
    I wanna apologize to Liz for my attitude about my machine, I had a horrible day trying to figure out why I wasn’t able to get this registered and I never should have been nasty about it. I guess buying a second hand machine isn’t worth it. You can’t do anything without the silhouette studio update. I did email them and asked for help or a refund. I’m just gonna get a new machine and start fresh.
    So I’m sorry Liz, thank you for trying to answer my questions.
    @kleber314 - I accept your apology, thank you. I am sorry you got dinged on the cutter, but don't let it make you think all experiences would be the same.

On that note, maybe we need to ask more questions, because people buy used Silhouette cutters all the time. Did you receive software or anything else from the seller other than just the cutter?
    No she didn’t . She told me she’d have her name removed by calling silhouette, but she either wasn’t able to or she never tried. I mean it’s pointless to buy used if you can’t do anything besides the basic addition on it. When you buy these machines they should make it so nobody can sell them if they register it, it’s not fair to the second owner that can’t really enjoy the machine. I have 33 designs in my cart and I’m glad I didn’t pay for them yet. I’m not buying anything unless they fix this issue. I found another sight with great designs and gave me free designs for joining. I will load them into my library and use them
    So you can use the cutter just not purchase from their website?
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,769
    I'm fairly certain it's the other way around. She can buy designs but not use this cutter.  By the way, I submitted a support ticket to Silhouette recently and it took 2 weeks for them to provide me a "canned response."  Obviously they struggle greatly with keeping up with so many customers.

The fastest way to get the correct answer to your issue is to post on one of the umpteen Cameo4 Facebook groups.  I got the answer to my issue within 20 seconds of searching on one of them. Forget support tickets or trying to reach Silhouette directly. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I just remembered that I came across a woman who runs one of these FB groups for Cameo and has a lot of Cameo experience. I sent her you first two posts about not being able to upgrade and she said this:

Sandy McCauley
    So, when I've bought Silh Studio updates, they send you an email with the new registration number.  Did you get that?  
    Sandy McCauley
    Hi Liz, just so you know in the future about the question I asked about how I can register a used machine. Well silhouette got back to me and they indeed cleared her name from my machine and I was able to register it in my name. If you have proof that you own it they will unregister it from the first owners name and add the new owners name. I got the 100 free designs from the basic addition so I’m glad it was ya waste of money buying second hand machine.
    @kleber314 - that is so awesome to hear, thanks for letting us know! I will keep that in mind for the next time it happens! Happy Cutting!