We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cameo cut through HTV backing. How can I rescue design off my new- super sticky mat?

jacketjanejacketjane Member Posts: 2
Like the title says, I have a fairly detailed design (thankfully larger) that the Cameo cut through the backing and the pieces I need are stuck to the mat. I can pull them off with my nail and have been attempting to put them on another design's backing (that was used.)

It's too time consuming, but I'm also out of that vinyl. Is there an easy way to get it up? My initial idea was to have the used backing "pick it up" (why did I use my new good mat?!) and then utilize another and peel it off so it's glue side down again.

Additionally, I'm not sure why, but sometimes my cameo misaligns itseld and cuts on odd areas or will do things like cut through the vinyl. It's an auto blade and I make sure to use the correct settings in the software before cutting.

Help?!

TIA!

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,410
    @jacketjane - sounds like you are having newbie issues with your cutter and what you're cutting. We cannot stress enough the usefulness of ALWAYS doing a test cut before you commit a whole big project to cutting, especially if the media you are cutting you only have a limited supply of. The only way to rescue this is to perhaps purchase some hi-tack tape and use it to pull up the letters. The dilemma you will have is that you are going to have issues when you apply the letters to whatever it is you're putting them on...peeling that hi-tack tape will likely just pull up the vinyl as well, rip the letters, or worse destroy whatever you're putting it on (if its like paper).

Let this be a lesson learned...never use a brand new mat or a mat that has been newly re-stickied without conditioning it so it is less sticky, always do small test cuts to make sure you are not cutting through the backing on vinyl, learn how to properly set the height, pressure of the blade so that it cannot possibly cut through the vinyl backing - if the blade tip is the right height, the highest pressure setting cannot possibly go through the backing, it's physically impossible. Check with your cutter's documentation provided on the Silhouette website, and through their support network. Contact them for the misalignment issue through the Support link on their website - that's a hardware issue, not software.

Lastly welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum, where we support the software Make The Cut! and the cutters that it supports. The Cameos are only partially supported by Make The Cut!
  • jacketjanejacketjane Member Posts: 2
    Hi!
    I appreciate your comment and the hi-tack tape idea.

Actually, I had used an old t-shirt to prep my new mat as I've had several and had just cut another design on the same foil in a different color; so I'm not sure why it did that, but I do agree on the test cut areas. I use the autoblade in my cameo and it's typically spot on. I wasn't looking for Cameo advice, just experience from fellow diecutters =]

I've actually had my cutter for about 2 years now and, while this hasn't happened too frequently thankfully, I was just looking for what techniques others have found useful in similar situations. I've learned a lot of nifty tricks over the years from reading forums and figured someone had different input.

I know you're probably not trying to come across hypercritical of my current skills, but maybe referring to issues people are asking about as "newbie" isn't the best way to give advice? xD Thanks for the welcome! I hadn't realized this was specific to the program. So sorry!

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,410
    Sorry if the term "newbie" is offensive, in essence, you are new to the Make The Cut! forum since you only joined on December 1st, =) and from your questions, I assumed you didn't have much experience with the cutter (using a super sticky mat is a beginner error usually) or vinyl cutting. We get A LOT of people on the forum that end up here because of a Google search...they just got a cutter, and they have no idea that we support a software, they think the forum is a generic website for help with cutters, and more often than not, it is cutters that are not supported, or their question is not even related to the subject matter at all. Or they come and sign up to spam us.

We do have a large wealth of information on this forum, some of which is helpful if one knows how to use key search words (the search-the-forum box is at the top right corner), and lots of knowledgeable members. Sadly, the software is no longer supported and many members have moved on and no longer visit us regularly or even at all. So if it wasn't for a few like myself who make an effort to visit a couple of times of day, your question may have gone unanswered for a while!

That all said, I find that the most knowledgeable group of people on the top of vinyl of all sorts is the tshirtforum. com.

PS I find that clean fluffy towels applied to the mat with a rolling pin, lifted and replaced and rolled again give the best quick application of lint which makes the mat less sticky =).