We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cannot download from the SVG Gallery

For a few weeks, I have begun to experiment with strange import failing when I try to download patterns from the Gallery.  When I search using a keyword I often get a few hundred patterns available. If I try to download some patterns from the first pages I have a fail. But if I go to the end of the gallery to the last pages I am able to successfully download the patterns. Thus I have about half the patterns that I cannot download. I have tried on another computer with a fresh install of Make-The-Cut and I have the same behavior. I am on Windows 10. Anyone had this issue and have a fix?

Thanks
Guy Bonneau

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,555
    The Gallery Feature is somewhat broken
    It has be found the any pattern that has a upload date before 2013 cannot be downloaded 
    and of the remainder those the show a blank thumbnail (mainly effecting files uploaded after mid 2018) cannot be downloaded either

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,606
    We are in the process of getting the files that we have collected available as an MTC Gallery on Google for people to access.  In the meantime, the older files MIGHT be available in this archive from Berryone's collection:  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByDca_cRz35gb29GMFpNekhWY3M?usp=sharing

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • gbonneaugbonneau Member Posts: 23
    If you need some help with this let me know! You can communicate privately with me. I am an expert having more than 35 years of experience with IT and software.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,606
    The big issue is that I had reorganized all of Berryone's downloaded files into more specific categories (which makes my brain happy lol).  Now I want to merge all of the remaining gallery files that we were able to download into this same new organization but it's tedious and I'm currently strapped for time due to some other paying projects.  I should have more time in about a month but if you LOVE organizing files, you can certainly let me know. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited November 27
    Right now I am quite overwhelmed myself for professional reasons but I might come back to you in a few weeks to see the progress with the issue and I might be able to give help with the reorganizing on the thematic.
    And I would really love to offer some help as well with my long experience in software engineering and my strong mathematic background to fixe a few issues with the software. Unfortunately, It seems the main developer has given up on the development of the application.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,410
    @gbonneau - the developer has been disinterested for several years. Many users have moved on to a rapidly developing software, Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). It has much more support for many more cutters.
    Without software support, it is understandable that people would move on something else.
    Yet I really love the feature of Make the Cut and both my wife and I appreciate the application for different reasons and we would stick with it. I use it for stained glass and my wife for scrapbooking. I would be more than glad to give spare time freely for supporting the application.
    Usually, developers try to design an application around international standards. Thus if the API to communicate with a cutting machine is based on such standards it shouldn't be hard to add the support of cutting machines that use this standard.
    edited November 27
    @gbonneau - my understanding is that most cutters understand a form of HPGL...however, those that have proprietary programming make their own rules. Kind of how like HTML, SVG, etc. specifications all went to heck when big corps, like Corel, Microsoft, Adobe, took the specifications and twisted them to suit their need ($$$$).
    My guessing from a long engineering experience in the electronic and software field is that all the makers of electronic cutting machines must buy from an OEM a single-board computer (SMB) with a USB output.
    It is way too much expensive for a company in  2019 to afford the engineering to design both the electronic and the software. They might also buy from an OEM the software that is deployed on the SMB. Again it is too expensive for a small company to develop/debug complex software to drive a plotter. Think about the cost of developing Make the Cut.
    I haven't made any research about that but I wouldn't be surprised that there are only one or two software OEM providers that make the software driving an SMB for a plotter machine. If this is the case then it wouldn't be hard to port Make to Cut to other machines. Indeed most OEM software would provide the application layer as well. Probably with some standard API interface. Thus you wouldn't need to care about the details of the API since the OEM software provider does it for you.
    The developer of Make the Cut would know.

Actually if you do do the research there are several companies developing software for cutters. SignLab has several flagship products that they develop for several cutter brands, Silhouette Studio has their product, Cricut has theirs, Pazzles lays claim to Inspiration Studio, and there likely a dozen or so iterations of CAD, which also can drive plotters. And that's not including whatever the Chinese are/have developed for their cutters. I think the market is way bigger than you think,