We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Why doesn’t my htv stay?

muddylacemuddylace Member Posts: 1
Hi! I’m fairly new to the Cricut world and unintentionally started selling shirts. I bought a large amount of siser htv from online. I made my shirts and the htv is peeling from most of the shirts after one wash. I’ve tried to re-iron them. It it doesn’t seem to stick %100. What do I need to do? Please help.

Answers

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,225
    Welcome to the Make the Cut software support forum developed to support users of the software programs, Make the Cut and its sister program Popup Card Studio.  It does not support Cricut products and is not a generic support for cutters.  I simply point this out as many people find it through a google search and assume it is a generic forum.  Often, they are seeking help with cricut cutters so I try to make sure they understand who pays for the forum and what it was designed for.

However, to your question - I have made a ton of shirts and other decorated items with Siser HTV for years now.  When I initially started, I was not using a heat press but using a household iron.  However, it is designed to ideally be used with a heat press.  When I got to make the items I made.  It made it a lot faster and easier. Something to consider if you are going to continue to sell items made with it.

While a household iron can be used, it takes more time and effort and has more risk of not adhering correctly. The iron has to get hot enough, be set to not be on steam, must be constantly moved back and forth over and over across the design, and is best done not on a soft surface like an covered ironing board, but on a more solid surface.  While you don't need to prewash the shirts or items when using a heat press, some feel it is necessary when using an iron to remove the "sizing" that is put on shirts in the manufacturing process. That may help.  You also need to preheat the shirt before applying the HTV to get the moisture out of the shirt.

If peeling after one wash - you are clearly not getting the HTV hot enough or pressing long enough, or on a good surface or all of that to adhere permanently to the shirt.  Some irons will not get hot enough. I only know of a couple of times I had anything peel, even when using an iron (and I made hundreds using an iron.)  I also pressed for much longer then Siser recommends for using an iron. Even after I removed the backing from the HTV, I would recover again with a pillow case and iron some more.  Also, it is recommended that shirts be washed inside out with HTV applied and not to be washed right away after HTV has been applied. 

You don't say which Siser HTV you are using.  I assumed it was Siser Easyweed, (there are several different types available) and that you were ironing the shirts not using a heat press. You also didn't mention what type of material the shirts are made of. Easyweed is meant for 100% cotton or a cotton/poly blend.  If the shirts are not that, but say all poly then it will not adhere correctly.  There are other Siser HTV intended for all poly.

The best place to get information on Siser products and their proper application would be directly from Siser. They can provide the best information on their products and how to adhere and troubleshoot.  You can find their site with information on Siser Easyweed here: 

http://www.siserna.com/heat-transfer-vinyl/easyweed/

Here is their material reference chart:
    http://www.siserna.com/files/material-reference-chart.pdf

You can find a lot more information and help on their site there as well.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • signgodsigngod Member Posts: 23
    well a proper heat press is best... one that is at least 12 inches or bigger. one that heats up to the 315 degrees and pressed at minimum of 15 seconds. seen that the hand irons even on high is just not hot enough.  circut actually came out with the easy press    https://www.joann.com/cricut-easypress-6x7-raspberry/16330318.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&source=TIS-S&WT.srch=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtajrBRBVEiwA8w2Q8HOJynWS6bLml57HKjE00c5swQ0AFAWN8T69VlQ_QwBLKbaeBGW84RoCCEEQAvD_BwE that works well.. also you need to remember about the hpv is heat pressed on heat will take it off. so if you can just hang dry or set your dryer on lowest dryer setting