We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Has anyone embossed a 12x12 paper using a black cat cutter? Advice?

JensMomJensMom Member Posts: 1,151
I want to emboss paper and my sizzix only will do the small papers. I have an embossing tool for my black cat and never used it. Any advice?

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,547
    The embossing effect produced but the embossing tool in you machine will be quite different to that which a embossing folder will produce

Using a embossing mat will help create a more pronounced effect 
    I created a mat using a vinyl rubber like table place mat from a $1 store 

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • JensMomJensMom Member Posts: 1,151
    What settings did you use if you don't mind?  I want to make some design in MTC for the entire page and then use the tool to emboss it. I looked at the Big Shot Pro, but they don't even sell large embossing mats.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,547
    I was using a KNK Zing
    It was quite some time ago and i wasn't that taken with the results so I really don't recall what settings 

I also made some embossing folders from cutting cereal box cardboard
    the result were quite good the embossed edges were a little softer the what a real folder produces and i suspect the had a limited life 
    I follow the instruction show on a youtube video 
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,385
    @JensMom - I personally do not think any cutter can emboss and give the same pleasing effects that an embossing folder and appropriate embossing machine can give. Blades cut up and down, they do not bend or curve, so all the edges created for an embossing effect are up and down, there are no soft curved edges, and all the embossing effects are the same depth. So yes, you can get an embossed straight line and that looks ok, but it isn't much use for anythings else. Some people seem to be happy with what they have "embossed", but its not the same, in my opinion =).

That said Xyron a few years ago released the Creatopia. This was a multi faceted tool, but the thing that most appealed to me was that it would emboss 12 x 12 paper. However, they didn't release very many embossing tools for it, and it died by the wayside. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thYhQeB4RME