We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Help with welding or boolean join [Resolved]

wjhoversonwjhoverson Member Posts: 17
edited May 22 in Resolved Issues
I am creating a page overlay for a baby scrapbook.  However, I am having trouble getting the look of the picture on top where it says "Bundle of Joy".  When I do the B-A difference in Booljean join it gives me the look I need but the tail on the y is gone.  What do I have to do differently in my layout to get this to look like the top image?
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,510
    edited May 21
    Boolean Join will only work with 2 shapes

But Boolean joint is not the function to use 

First create the layout frame by selection everything but the text 
       By selecting all the rectangles and the page shape and join 

then select that frame and the text and weld 

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • wjhoversonwjhoverson Member Posts: 17
    Maybe I should have stated my problem differently.  What I am trying to do is to NOT bring the "Y" up so it is even with the bottom of all the other letters.  In the photo example I have, the y hangs down below the box I have it in and cuts around it.  Is it possible to get this same type of cut with MTC or another software?
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,546
    Just don't bring the Y up. Just have it overlapping into the open space below, as you originally showed us.  Again, the idea is that all of the rectangles need to be "holes" inside the outer larger rectangle.  Once you achieve that outside shape, you can then place the letters any way you want and the select all and apply the Weld function.  Oh...   I don't see that Crazy Mr Zing covered how to make them holes instead of rectangles over rectangles.   Hide the text.  Then select all so that you have the main outside and ALL of the rectangles and apply Join at the bottom.  Then you'll have the holes. Then you put the letters anywhere you like and then select the text and the big shape and do the Weld. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thanks Sandy - I am at work right now but will try that when I get home.  Appreciate the response!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,274
    @wjhoverson - don't try to weld or booleen join the whole thing at one time. You need to do it in steps.

- in the image that you provided, make the biggest box, then add all the other small boxes. JOIN them. Join removes where shapes overlaps. Weld makes one shape and any inner shapes are absorbed into the bigger.

- create your text item, size the text, rotate the letters as needed on a layer of their own, with the boxes layer LOCKED so that you don't move them accidentally. Select all the letters and WELD them. If you use Join you will have inner holes.

- unlock the boxes layer, then select all and WELD, Boolean Join is not required.
    It worked!  I hid the Bundle of Joy layer then joined everything else.  I then opened the Bundle of Joy layer and selected everything and welded.  The result was just what I wanted.  Thanks so much everyone!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,274
    @wjhoverson - that is good to hear, and thank you for posting back your successes! Appreciate that!