We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cut a design larger than the mat

toocutemomtoocutemom Member Posts: 57
I have this design that I want to cut 10x14. How can I do that when my mat is not that large? Is there a way to divide the design?

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,226
    Is the problem simply that you do not have a mat that large but your cutter will let you cut that big its self? What do you plan to cut it out of?  Cardstock?  Vinyl? if Vinyl, you can cut vinyl on most machines without a mat.

You could approach this in a couple of ways, you could cut the Jordan, and the est. 2019 as one separate layer so you didn't need to divide it up if your machine is big enough and have a mat that will let you cut it. It would be fairly simply to then add back to the middle afterwards.

As far as splitting the design portion, you could take a couple of different approaches.  You could use the knife tool and cut the design either in half down the middle from the top to the bottom or across the middle.  This design would make it fairly simply to be able to eyeball that and do it that way.  You could also divide it into 4ths by cutting down the middle and across the middle.

You could also use the "Tiling" tool in MTC to tile your design.  You could either tile just the decorative design and not the name and est. or tile the entire design.  There are plenty of the Webinars that would have covered using the tiling feature and it would be covered in the User Manual that you can find through the "Help" menu.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,381
    @toocutemom - what size of mat do you have? What program and cutter are you using?

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,597
    Here's a video on the Tiler function in MTC:  

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,132
    edited April 27
    It really depends on what material you are cutting. Vinyl and HTV don't require a mat and actually cut better without a mat from my experience. Knowing what machine, software, and material you are cutting would make it easier to help you find a solution.
    ETA: You can also purchase a 12x24 mat from multiple sources, my favorite being Nicapa on Amazon.
    Live Love Craft
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,381
    @loganpaul - you can get the original oval frame from here:

http://getdrawings.com/vintage-oval-frame-vector#vintage-oval-frame-vector-14.png

Just add your text! Show us your work!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!