We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

WRMK Foil Quill Pen Set

MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,228
Just an FYI for those of you who are getting these, (And I know there are quite a few) just wanted to share that if you have a Target store in your area, check their crafting area.  They have some Washi tape on clearance for pretty cheap.  I think I figure out it was like .04 cents a yard.  I bought some larger boxes of 8 rolls normally $11.99 it said for $3.58.  They also had larger and smaller rolls singularly and they were on clearance for .88 cents a roll. 10 yards on a roll or a little more.  Figured it doesn't matter what it looks like if you are going to use for taping on the mat.  (Although I think that I might prefer the painter's tape.  The Washi tape that came with it has torn the card stock I have tested on several times for being too sticky.
Go Vols!
Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,228

This is the bigger box of them.
    Go Vols!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,598
    Since you brought up the topic, we should all share some of our results. I'm still testing so no "adorable" projects.  But the foiling results that I'm getting so far on the various KNK models has been spectacular!  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thanks for sharing some of your results Sandy.   I agree, it would be great for us to share here for those interested.  I had just gotten back from Target and wanted to make sure I shared that before I forgot.  ;) :(  I've done a few tests on my Silver Bullet, using the C adaptor.  Haven't had a chance to do a lot, hope to get in the work room shortly and do some more.  I will try to get some pictures and share what I have done so far.
    Go Vols!
  • Rosie0530Rosie0530 Member Posts: 3,138
    This looks so pretty. Thanks for sharing your results.
    Rosie in VA. originally from PA. Proverbs3:5,6
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,544
    I thought Some may wonder of What Magic you Speak

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 853
    Wow, that’s really cool! Thanks for sharing. ~Diane
    edited March 16
    I have only had a little bit of time to do any testing/playing with my pen set. I have used both washi tape and blue painter's tape to tape down.  Both work just as well as the other in my opinion.  (I think the sticky too much and tearing the card stock may be due to the high humidity we have probably had due to all the rain we have had in the past little bit.  I don't usually have this problem.) It is really hard to get pictures/scans that show everything well with the foils.

I am using with my Silver Bullet cutter. I am using the C adaptor. I used the silver tool that comes with the Foil Quill Pens to protect from the "heat"  for "placement" above my mat and media.  Seems to put it pretty much at a good depth in the tool holder.  I need to try with the pen holders for the SB but haven't yet. I have used with a force of 15-20 generally and a V (speed) of anywhere from 65 to 100.  I used the bold tip and the fine tip to do these testings as I recall.  I bI think when you are trying to get a good fill, you need to go slower then if you are only doing outlines.  One thing I have noticed that sometimes what seems good to the naked eye, shows some minor flaws when you try to photograph or scan it to show!  :open_mouth: So, my recommendation is to "see" what looks good to you as long as you aren't going to photograph it!  ;)

I used MTC for my testing.  It does not have a fill option like SCAL does, but it is easy enough to create your own fill patterns as desired and use those which is what I did.  It is the same as creating textures/fills for engraving. (Information is available on the forums or webinars to learn how if needed.) Once you have properly created the fill textures/patterns you want, you can add them to your basic shapes for easy access for future uses.  I didn't do a lot of filling, several of these tests were just with basic images that I found and did not add a fill too. When you add a fill to an image, it will take much longer to "draw" and fill in. (Just as doing an engraving will.)  The flowers I broke into their basic parts (petals, stem with leaves, and the middle of the flower) and "colored" separately with different foils and used the WYSIWG method.

Couple of additional notes- regarding the foils used.  I used the WRMK foils that came with the pens as well as the Gemini Letterpress foils that I ordered from HSN when I ordered the pens.  I also tried the Todo Foils that I already had.  All 3 worked, but I thought that  I got a little better coverage with the WRMK foils when using a "fill" in particular.  I used the exact same paper and settings each time with the images so nothing but the foil type was changed.  Perhaps a slow speed, more Force with the others would give a better fill.  I did not have time to test that theory.

Be careful where you place your tape, on one of my images you will see that the "G" in "Get Well" is partially cut off. If you look closely, you can see the imprint of it slightly of the entire letter.  I had put the washi tape too far over in that area and it was there where the G got cut off.  As a result, I believe there was not enough heat applied to that area to get the transfer of the foil.

Also, although I did not get a picture of it, I did try to use the pens plugged in and heated but not in a cutter and just use it in my hand to write or "trace" with.  That works too if you wanted.  (Although I think I prefer the machine doing the work.)

That's all the "information/thoughts" that I have from some very limited and preliminary testing with the Foil Quill Pens.  Just wanted to share what I have found while testing a little. 

Here are some of the images that I did using the pens and foils.  Flowers 1 with the green leaves was the Gemini Letterpress foils except for the middle dot of the flowers, the flowers with the silver leaves was with the WRMK foils - my error was what caused the middle of the second flower to not foil correctly.

@SandyMcC please feel free to take any information and images that I share here to share with the documentation/information you are putting together for the Facebook group you guys created.

Go Vols!
    For those who might want to know - the fonts for the Happy Birthdays were from the top: Hearthstone, Cataline Script, Emilyne and Kunstler Script.  I know the first 3 came from DaFont and are free for personal use.  I prefer to use DaFont because they do not "package" other things with the font downloads.
    Go Vols!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,598
    Very cool, @MeFlick and thank you for the details.  I'll be adding your settings to the table I'm putting together for all cutters.  I, too, found that it's important to slow down the cutter when doing fills. The foil definitely needs more contact time with the heat.  Also, textured materials need more contact time than flat materials, too. Here's an example... heavily textured Bazzill: Left side with a speed of 30 versus right side with a speed of 60 (on the Maxx Air): 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,381
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!