We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Locked Layers get Changed

It seems that all of a sudden when I lock a layer, then open another layer that is unlocked I want to work on, changes I make to the unlocked one happen on the locked layer too.  How can this be??
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,492
    edited December 2018
    what functions are you using the eraser and the knife do not respect the locked layer
    There maybe a few others that I can't recall

The work around I use is copy > paste in place that layer I want to protect to another page then return it when I'm finished editing

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,515
    Also, if you hide the layer instead of locking it, I believe you can then use the Erase tool and Knife tool on a shape on top and the hidden layer will not be affected. Although, I like Crazy's way, too, and is more likely the way I would do it.  :) 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,228
    My opinion is that this is a bug. I have seen it happen so many times, however, it was not officially recognized as a bug and was therefore not addressed by the developer.

• CharoCharo Member Posts: 732
    THANK YOU!  I thought I was going crazy as I was certain I had successfully done things to a locked layer without changing.  I was using the eraser and knife the last time this happened.  Good to know this is a bug and not me and my memory issues.
    Member 30818
    @Charo - LOL well if you looked at many of the videos of the weekly webinars, this would happen to Julie all the time. Bryan always had a reason for it, but I know what my eyes saw...until it happened to him, LOL. Silence.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 732
    @Liz_A your comment gave me a much-needed laugh after working ALL DAY on one card.  Grrr.  Brian in silence over a program bug in a video is worth searching for.  Too funny.
    Member 30818
  • FabiolaBettleyFabiolaBettley Member Posts: 6
    Check whether the layers are linked or not. If the layers are linked then, this kind of problem may occur.
    edited January 11
    @FabiolaBettley - there isn't a way to link or unlink layers in MTC. The layer is a stand alone object, what is on it, is on it and is not linked to any other layer. Locking the layer ensures that objects on the layer cannot be moved. You can still delete objects on a locked layer, you can still add (inadvertently or purposely) objects to locked layers, you just cannot affect a layer or its objects when you are working on another layer - typically layers above where are adding objects in relation to objects on locked layer, like for example the bottom layer is your card based and subsequent layers added above the card base have elements you want to cut out of the card base. Locked layers was put in place at the request of users, so that users could work above or below a layer without inadvertently moving objects on lower or above layers. If you join/weld objects that exist on different layers, they will all end up on one single layer, so objects that are "linked" in your sense of the word cannot exist on separate layers. Hope that makes sense.