We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Blade drag marks becoming larger

Hey everyone. Before I was having no issue with blade drag markings but now each time the blade re-enters a cut it is leaving a small entry mark (see photo).

The blade is new and clean, offset has not been changed, speed or pressure have not changed, blade depth is not hitting the mat. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,979
    @jahcure - is this with your Maxx Air, and are you using Make The Cut!?
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,639
    I think this was discussed before wasn't it put down to something odd about
    MTC and only certain computers ? and that it didn't seem to happen with scal?
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • jahcurejahcure Member Posts: 30
    > @Liz_A said:
    > @jahcure - is this with your Maxx Air, and are you using Make The Cut!?

Yes Liz it is with the maxx air and MTC on a PC.
    Actually it looks like the issue has resolved itself somehow, after 2-3 poorly cut projects it's now cutting clean again. Thanks for chiming in to assist though.
    You're welcome @jahcure - maybe it was that big ole super moon we had right around that time :). My Maxx Air misbehaved this weekend too!
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    Ok, looks like I spoke too soon. The issue of the little blade entrance mark is back!

So I noticed a while back when I switched blades, the old blade (that had no issues) only had a half spring on it which may have allowed the blade to swivel more easily?

I don't know if that is common to use a half spring but should I try cutting the blade spring in half to see if that fixes the issue and cleans up my entrance point?
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,599
    Not sure what the design looks like, but could it be that there is a stray node in that line?  Try enlarging the cut image by quite a lot to see what the line looks like at that spot.

Also, for the Zing at least, some people have switched over to a Roland blade with a blade holder that fits both the machine and the Roland blades.  I've only seen a few of those type of blade holders, but the ones I have seen don't have a spring in them.  I may be wrong, but if the Maxx can use the standard Zing blade holders, that might be something you want to look into.  Both the Roland blade holder and the Roland blades are less expensive.  But remember that if you do switch to a Roland style blade holder you will have to recalibrate the machine.
    @gabe I will look into the Roland blades, I actually have a few but have yet to try them.

My design is unchanged, it used to cut perfectly with my entry/drag marks but it seems like when I changed the blade out is when these marks began appearing.
    it might be a blade offset issue sometimes new blades have a slightly different
    try increasing your blade offset

On ebay there have been deals recently 15 blades and a clone roland holder for $5-10

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    > @Crazy_Mr_Zing said:
    > it might be a blade offset issue sometimes new blades have a slightly different
    > try increasing your blade offset
    >
    > On ebay there have been deals recently 15 blades and a clone roland holder for $5-10

Wow that is really cheap for blades, thank you. I will try increasing my blade offset on my next cut. How much of an increment would you recommend?
    edited December 2017
    Actually I'm thinking I'm wrong Now
    in you photo the direction the blade is at the end if the same at the direction on the beginning of the next shape  so there should be no reason for the blade correcting at the beginning of the following shape

does it do this with every cut ?

what blade holder and blade are you using ?

If you put you mtc file here maybe someone will spot an issue with it

You could try a test with a pen at 0mm offset and see the same lines are not being drawn

Like a said I sure thinks was discussed before I will try find the discussion
    > @Crazy_Mr_Zing said:
    > Here the discussion I recall
    >
    > http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/45185/problem-cutting-letters-on-vinyl

So I just read through that thread but it looked like it was closed before a resolution was met. Was the issue MTC in general? The last suggestion was to download SCAL. I hope that isn't the issue as I've only had MTC for about 3 months!
    Sorry mr zing I don't know the name of these blades or this blade holder because I bought everything used, but here are photos.
    @jahcure - The pictures are of a KNK blade holder and a KNK blade. The blue cap blade, or heavy duty blade. You should be using an offset of 0.75 for that blade. What are you cutting?
    > @Liz_A said:
    > @jahcure - The pictures are of a KNK blade holder and a KNK blade. The blue cap blade, or heavy duty blade. You should be using an offset of 0.75 for that blade. What are you cutting?

Thanks Liz, that's the offset I am using for it. I'm cutting 30 mil thick magnetic material with a vinyl coating
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,880
    The newer blue cap blades have a lower Offset.  But the best thing to do is cut a like ten little squares and range the Offset from 0.1 to 0.8... and then examine the corners of the squares. You'll be able to see which offset gives the nicest corners and that's the offset you want to use. Beyond that, watch your speed and make sure your mat is secured on the outside edges with pinch wheels that are centered over the grid shafts under the mat.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!