We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

after calibration, cut it off again [Resolved]

squashblossomsquashblossom Member Posts: 27
edited October 2016 in Resolved Issues
I spent quite a lot of time calibrating my Zing air, and on my sticker samples from the printer the die cut was perfect. Now I have the final 200 sticker sheets . . . . and the die cut is off in the X direction by 4mm. How can that be if the registration marks are all the same? Quite a bit frustrated now that my stickers are still not cut after all this time invested!
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,571
    edited October 2016
    It difficult to give specific advice without seeing the actual file

What process are you using eg print in adobe> import to mtc and cut  OR print in mtc cut in mtc ?

IF it print in mtc cut in mtc are you hiding layer after printing ?

if the x direction off for the whole cut or os it good at the beginning and drifts of towards the end

I'm thinking a good test would go through the calibration but don't alter the setting at the end  just to see it the machine is still cutting the arrows accurately
    let us know if it is not accurate maybe Sandy can advise further

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,638
    edited October 2016
    If you have your Zing Air calibrated perfectly, then most likely it's a software issue that is causing this. The most common issue, once users move from calibration to an actual project, is that they are turning off and/or turning on layers after printing and before cutting that result in the reg marks moving.   There are ways around that and various scenarios are covered in Chapter 9 after the section on calibration. Check out those situations to see if any match yours.  If you still can't figure out a fix, please post your MTC file and we'll help you.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • squashblossomsquashblossom Member Posts: 27
    It appears that the print shop used my AI file (two 5"x5.5" side-by-side sheets of matching images), but printed in a way as to make more offset than my digital file. I had to open the AI file and move half of the images over 1/2" to where they conformed to his printed sheet. Cuts are now where they should be. In the future I will instruct him to print exactly as the AI file which will save me time correcting them.
    edited October 2016
    It difficult to offer advise without seeing the files and  image of what the print looks like and what procedure you using to progress to cutting
    maybe screen captures of you AI file and MTC screens
    (if you use win 7 or above you could use the snipping tool)
    also a photo of the print for the print shop
    We understand you may wish to keep your artwork private perhaps you  could maybe use of heavy watermarking to protect you images

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but if the print shop offset the printing of your AI files I thinking the registration marks would also have been offset and therefore allow the cut to remain aligned
    as the reg mark system use 3 point triangulation even if the printshop enlarger or shrank to fit page the alignment should still work
    also as long as that adjustment was proportional 
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,638
    I'm glad you figured it out!
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    When I got my first samples, all cuts lined up (see sample) using the 3-point registration for PNC. Somehow on the final printing he put in a 3/4" gap between the sheets (sample2) when the AI file has 1/4", so not proportional. He sent me the 2-up file he used and it was still at 1/4" gap, so I don't know how he misaligned it in printing. I was able to digitally move the right sheet over in AI and now it is in sync, but it did take me a while to figure it out.
    edited October 2016
    So the printshop printed 2 of the same file on one page correct ?

As each block of sticker has it own reg mark I'm thinking you could do a separate print and cut on each
    and  if each sticker block originated form a identical file you could use the same MTC file

eg print and cut sticker block 1 the another print and cut sticker block 2

The other option is create your AI file for printing by the print shop as one page containing the 2 blocks of stickers that are enclosed by one set of reg mark positioning marks and also create a match MTC file for cutting

Going further as I often stuffed up and placed the print out upside down
    I began placing a direction indicator in my file then it obvious which what is up on the print out and in the MTC print and cut

eg

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I like the idea of 2-up with just one set of trim lines. Saves time in the cutting when I only have 3 marks to register but get two sheets done at a time.
    There is one trade off the larger sheet of cutting may lead to the possibility of some slight slippage and therefore possible misaligned cuts towards the end
    But as you cutting easy to cut label paper I doubt if you will be a issue

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!