We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC Saving a New copy of file with EVERY save!!! [Resolved]

undecidedundecided Member Posts: 501
edited October 2016 in Resolved Issues
I am having some trouble with MTC.  It is crashing :(  and this is only happening with MTC--not any other heavy software such as adobe photo/elements, etc.  i am shutting all else down and trying to separate files as i go so there are as few pages as possible, etc.

Second, I am saving a lot....and here is another HUGE problem, MTC is saving a unique copy of the file EVERY time it saves!!!! (it puts a different multi-digit number in front of the file name)  this is making a mess and creating confusion on top of the clutter.  Please help if you can! How do I fix MTC?
Post edited by Gabe on

Best Answers

• MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 9,213
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, if autosave was on and set to 5 then it is saving multiple files. if it was set to autosave and set to 5 then it is going to save 5 copies with a number 1 - 5 added to the file name; then once it gets to 5 it will overwrite the oldest copy. 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)

Answers

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,468
    This is a new one on me - whenever I save an MTC it gives me the option to save in whatever name I want - the only time it refuses to save in the same name is if I have put a 'read only' under properties.  Can you put up one of your files that is doing this so that I can see if it does it for me as well - in the mean time I will take a troll round my MTC and see if there is some option that you have ticked and I have not!  Also check that you have not got 'read only' set in the properties for MTC itself.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,468
    Here is a pic of my advance settings found under help - not sure this is any help.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,213
    Check in the Advance Settings and see if you have Automatic Project Saving checked on.  It sounds like it is - turn it off (uncheck it.)  Then you can recheck it and see what "options" it gives you for how frequently to save and name, etc.  (I forget, but seems like you set different parameters for that.)

That could be causing your crashing, or could be something else.  If it continues to crash my recommendation would be to try and log a support ticket with MTC and see if you can get any help or response. Anything recently change on your computer?  You didn't say what version of MTC you are using, what computer platform (Mac/PC), what OS, etc. all of those are things needed to know to help you more perhaps.  (For example, if you are running an older version of MTC to cut with a Cricut, or on a PC with recently updated to Windows 10 or a Mac updated to the recent OS of Sierra), etc.  
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • undecidedundecided Member Posts: 501
    hi 
    PC with 10 
    just double checked 4.6.2 is the latest version.
    but i am going to try fiddling with the autosave!
    thank you
    did the autosave thing....no otptions for saving multiple files, in the past it has just wrote over --so same file.

ok so mine is set to 5 @SandyMcC
    does that mean that it only saves 5 times, if you go longer it no longer saves? or does it then start to overwrite the oldest copy?
    thankyou to all for answering!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,297
    @undecided - the user manual I refered you to in your previous post for help, page  58 has this information:

Enter Maximum Saves before deleting older ones 

So if you enter 5 you will have 5 versions of your file, if it gets that. For the 6 th autosave, it will overwrite #5, and #5 will be over written again, and again as required. In essence, only 1 is really required, in my opinion, and is the behaviour of most programs that have an autosave feature, eg MS Word.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,519
    undecided said:

Second, I am saving a lot....and here is another HUGE problem, MTC is saving a unique copy of the file EVERY time it saves!!!! (it puts a different multi-digit number in front of the file name)  this is making a mess and creating confusion on top of the clutter.  Please help if you can! How do I fix MTC?
    Maybe I reading this incorrectly as it sounds like autosave is on "
    EVERY time it saves!!!! (it puts a different multi-digit number in front of the file name)"
    eg
    20161013055835_filename.mtc

The number is a time code   Year-Month-Date-Time (Hour:Min:Sec)

I use windows have the folder view on my autosave folder always set to details so I can quickly sort by date modified  so the new file is on top

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Crazy_Mr_Zing wow! thank you, I had not realized what the numbers meant!  but that makes sense, and it's useful!  While it does go over the auto save feature in the manual--as i had not changed that feature (it was on but that number must have been 1 because there were never multiple copies before) I had no idea to look up details on autosave--that is why i love this forum! thanks! I've dialed it back to 3 (per sandymcc's suggestion) autosaves so i can revert to an older copy if i've mucked up.  

I am seeing that my issues today are due to changes in settings that i did not change, and have not bothered with in the past. Yesterday my PC froze up while using MTC and it took me hours on youtube on my tiny phone to get it to work again....so I am wondering what happened, but mostly just hoping it doesn't happen again!  October is project month, and i have about 8 different projects I am using MTC for concurrently (trying to close before opening another ;)
    Autosave has saved me so many times now

What version of windows are you using I have no really knowledge on this stuff but I often wonder if windows doing updates in the background is the cause some of the issues. Now MS are being somewhat draconian (IMO) by removing most of the user control of how and when Windows 10 Updates will be performed

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,760
    edited October 2016
    Lets blame it on George Bush
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing
    windows 10  very unhappy with the route MS is taking....but we have to work with it i guess...
    I think back to the old days when most time it the software crashed there was a message say what cause it sure for the average user it was gibberish but at least you could pass it on to someone that could understand it
    now it seem with every newer version the display nothing eg "x program has stopped work and has be closed " or the path to actually see that info is not so obvious
    Not that I get many crashes so I guess that one improvement from the old days buy I've been reading up the window event logger thinking maybe that will be useful. although I over trying to my pc work these  I just want them to
    I managed to halt auto updates on our windows 10 pc so at least I can choose when they happen and actually know it happening in case the are issue afterwards

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!