We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Blade for cutting Siser Easy Weed HTV [Resolved]

ruthgillis61ruthgillis61 Member Posts: 5,932
edited October 2016 in Resolved Issues
The paperwork that came with my siser easy weed states to use a 45 or 60 degree blade? Should I switch out my 35 degree blade to cut it? Seems really thin... I usually cut vinyl on my Zing using a force of 16 to 18? Lower it?
I have only cut HTV once before - and it was Cricut brand and it took more force than my regular vinyl.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,500
    @ruthgillis61 - I use the red cap blade for cutting the HTV that KNK sells.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,241
    I have always used the regular 45 degree blade with my cutters to cut Siser Easy Weed HTV and I have cut a ton of it over the years.  The force needed is going to vary from machine to machine. I had one cutter, my BC Cougar, that I used to have to cut with a force of 9-10 usually, others with that cutter used any where from 15-25.  Mine numbers seemed significantly lower then most others.  While on my SB cutter, I typically use about an 18-20 but have had to vary depending on other variables.  What is going to work is going to have some variables based upon the condition of the blade (new versus not new, well used, what it was used to cut before, etc.) and the condition of the mat.  As you know, as a long time user of cutters, these are all variables that impact cutting any media. Just do some test cuts starting out with your normal vinyl force and see what works best for you. The goal is to get a clean cut through the vinyl but not into the backing.  It is going to be hard to tell if you have gotten that clean cut without attempting to "weed" some of the vinyl away and see how the cut has done.

Couple of other notes to remember - with HTV vinyl, the shiny side is the "carrier sheet" and you want it be down against the mat.  Weed away the "waste" material and leave the design/wording on the carrier sheet.  As a result, you will want to mirror your design since you will be cutting in reverse. Often users forget the mirror part (even those of us who have cut it a zillion times and get in a hurry!)  ;)
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,590
    edited October 2016
    If you are using a KNK blade, they only come in 45, and 60 degrees.  See page 24 of the Zing/MTC user manual.  Red capped blade is 45 degrees.  Blue capped blades are 60 degrees.  Fabric blades (yellow) are about 28 degrees.  (Thanks Sandy).  You may be confusing blade angle with blade offset.  .25 and .35 are blade offsets.  They tell the cutter how far the tip of the blade is located from the center of the blade shaft.  See page 26 of the manual.
    Post edited by Gabe on
  • ruthgillis61ruthgillis61 Member Posts: 5,932
    Thank you all!! I used my red cap blade and found a force of 15 worked for the Siser and a 45 for the Glitter vinyl from cricut!
    @Gabe you were correct confused offset and blade! Thans!
    @Liz_A & @MeFlick.. thank you both! The red worked perfectly! And even with the word of warning... I still forgot to "mirror/flip" one of the cuts... oh well :)
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,241
    Glad you got it worked out Ruth.  As I said, I gave that "warning" about mirroring because I have done it plenty of time myself!  ;)
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,636
    Just to clarify... the yellow capped KNK blades are roughly 28 degrees... not 60 degrees.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!