We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC + KNK Zing Air + Avery 800/900 series vinyl = What setting?

DuroDuro Member Posts: 4
Hi guys, 

Recently purchased a KNK Zing Air to do some vinyl work and everything was going pretty well as my wife and I were mainly practicing on cheaper polymeric vinyl. We have now swapped to Supercast 900 and 800 series vinyl and it's not been a smooth change over! 

We're struggling with dragging of the blade, picking of the edges and overall less 'clean' cuts compared to the cuts before. I have changed the blade length to be almost not showing and am using a force of only 22/25. Not too happy with the results so far so thought Id ask if anyone has some insight on what's the best option to get the best results? I have improved the results slightly just by trail and error but I'm afraid I might go through $200 worth of vinyl before I reach a good result... 

The designs I'm trying to cut are very simple, not that intricate. The STRUGGLES came out quite clean on my last attempt, but the DEFCON was a struggle. 

Here's the settings I used on my last attempt. 

Thanks for your help! 

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,568
    edited September 2016
    Welcome to the Make the Cut Forum where We Discuss Make the Cut Software, Popup Card Studio Software and the Supported Cutting Machines
    KNK Zing and Zing Air User Manual Chapters 1, 2, 9 and 10 are specific to the KNK Zing and Zing Air. Chapters 3 – 8 are Make The Cut only and will be useful to all owners of Make The Cut software. http://www.iloveknk.com/support/user-manuals/zing-user-manuals/
    The user manual includes a page of suggested settings I'm not sure if it includes the type of vinyl you mention
    When you start cutting a new material its best to cut a small basic shape until you determine the correct setting this keep material usage to a minimum
    eg a 5 point star

Check inside the blade hold to ensure a small slither of material has not gone up inside and interfering with the blade

by drag do you mean the blade is dragging over the material even in the up position
    Are you setting the blade hold height up using the post-it's method if so how many ?

If you can attach a photo of the poor cutting result one of the more knowledgeable user maybe be able to determine a possible cause

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • DuroDuro Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. Its not dragging when in the up position, it seems to struggle with tight corners. Unfortunately pics make it hard to inspect.

I will work a bit more on it tonight and see if we can get some results. Super easy shapes are not a struggle, its more intricate shapes that seem to be the issue.
    @Duro I'm not good a deciphering cutting photos hopefully @SandyMcC will drop in soon
       Were the blades supplied lately some of these blade supplied had required a different offset and the advice given was try a 0.40mm blade offset and see if there a improvement
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,590
    @Duro, do you have a copy of the MTC user manual?  There are settings to try printed in the manual.  Plus the user manual has invaluable info on a thousand different things.  Plus links to videos, a list of keyboard shortcuts and several chapters that are specific to your particular cutter.  The author, @SandyMcC also has and outstanding support website:  www.iloveknk.com  You can find the manual there, under the tab that says "Support".  Then follow the breadcrumbs to the Zing/Zing Air user manuals.
    null
    Hi Gabe, I have the manual, gone through the settings and watched heaps of videos. Has helped, but some issues remain. Its fine cutting thicker vinyl like 500 series, its this thinner stuff that I'm now struggling with.

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated!
    @Duro are you cutting with or without the mat
    I find sometimes using the mat supports the thinner vinyl a little
    @Duro are you cutting with or without the mat
    I find sometimes using the mat supports the thinner vinyl a little
    With a mat - I have yet to try and use the machine without the mat! The mat is not very sticky though, could that be an issue? 
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,634
    The second photo shows a great cut... no?  If not, then I need more details. In the first photo, it appears the blade is extended too much.  You can verify this by looking at the top of the backing sheet... pull up some of the vinyl and see if there are cut marks.  This would mean you need to retract the blade a bit and, if necessary, increase the force a bit.  I have a flow chart you might find handy for test cutting materials not listed in the UM: 

http://www.iloveknk.com/2015/06/test-cutting-materials-a-troubleshooting-flow-chart/
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!