We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC keeps crashing when I try to use the "text Box"? - RESOLVED!

TheScrapoholicTheScrapoholic Member Posts: 30
edited August 2016 in Resolved Issues
My software is up to date. I have been using the text box the last few days successfully. But today i click it to use it and the error message of MTC has stopped working.  I've rebooted, I've opened a whole new MTC and still crashing. How do I fix? Please help!
Post edited by TheScrapoholic on

Answers

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    Are you on a mac or pc? Sometimes a particular font can make MTC unstable. Sometimes it is the file size. Sometimes it is what is running in the background. Have you tried reinstalling MTC? We actually need a little more information before offering any suggestion.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,507
    @TheScrapoholic - fonts can be corrupt in Windows...you may need to uninstall any fonts that you installed recently prior to MTC crashing when you try to add text...this behaviour is symptomatic of a corrupt font.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • TheScrapoholicTheScrapoholic Member Posts: 30
    It doesn't matter which font I am using. There's nothing running besides MTC. and its a PC. no matter which font I have immediately after I click the "TI" box to type my words the error comes up and MTC closes. I've run my cc cleaner and my 3 virus and adware programs. I've been using it no problem for 3 days. I will try re-installing MTC. All the fonts I want to use are working fine if I go the old way of double clicking each letter.
  • cutterpunkcutterpunk Member Posts: 25
    I'm a Mac user and MTC consistently crashes for me when I scroll through the font list. None of my fonts are corrupt (thanks, Extensis!) but MTC seems to not like too many fonts being enabled at once.  If I pare down my list of enabled fonts, the crashes are reduced.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,593
    edited August 2016
    @cutterpunk, please do not "hijack" another person's request for help with your own problem.  If you need to request help, please start your own thread rather than tack on a question in another thread, as that confuses the issue and sometimes one or the other asker will not get an answer.   Thank you.
    edited August 2016
    Hi @Gabe,

It seems you misunderstood the intent of my post. I'm sharing the conditions under which I experience a similar crash and sharing my workaround which was to uninstall some fonts in the hopes that it might work for this user.  That's why I posted a solution with my "problem".  

I made no request for help or asked a question.
    I re-installed MTC but its still closing with the error. I did get a new cutter last week. I switched from Silhouette Cameo 2 to the KNK Air. But I've used MTC "text box" since and no problems? I did reinstall the KNK software again too. I'm at a loss on this one. I think I may just need to bring my computer into Geek Squad for a tune-up, since I got a year of it for free with the computer, might just be something needing updating? I'm thinking its more a computer issue maybe than MTC, since everything else is working fine in MTC?
    If you want to explore the possibility of corrupt fonts, one option would be to download and install the trial version of Extensis FontDoctor, which can be found here: http://www.extensis.com/support/product-support/fontdoctor/

The trial has some limitations, but the scanning and diagnosis appear to be fully functional in the demo copy I just installed.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,593
    @cutterpunk, pardon me for misunderstanding, but I have to say that to me at least, it didn't sound as though you were offering advice or saying you had a "solution".  You started by saying you experience consistent crashes, which made me think you are saying you have a similar problem.  And you finished by saying that you found a way to reduce (but not eliminate) the crashing.  Sounds like an unresolved issue to me.

As a moderator on the forum I am always on the lookout for "hijack" messages, which many people post without understanding that they are actually "muddying the waters."  When I find one, or in this case, think that I've found one, I try to politely let the poster know that if they post a new message explaining their problem they are more likely to get a faster answer or at least, not detract from the original question.

Hope you understand that I meant no offense.  Just trying to do my job.
    Got my computerback and the text box is now working. Geek Squad updated my keyboard driver, thinking that was the problem since its been updated its now working. Thanks for all the advice
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!