We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Help with Textured Snapshot of Face [Resolved]

byMariebyMarie Member Posts: 40
edited August 2016 in Resolved Issues
Hi Everyone,

I'm having difficulty trying to cutout a snapshot of a face of a photo I traced in MTC.  During the trace, I cropped the original photo and then traced the outline of the gown and the inner face - which I want to keep as a textured cutout so I can print out separate and add to the gown for some thank you cards  I am making for my niece.  

I've tried different things based on different comments in this forum including a Scrappy Dew video tutorial that uses a line at (0,0) along with placing the image at (0,0) also.  However, when I right click on my face and select texture the default for the project image is the original photo I traced in and doesn't include my cropped photo and thus my textured face is misaligned.

Can anyone help me and describe how can  I get a textured cutout of my niece's face.

Thank you,

Marie
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• AnointedHandsAnointedHands Member Posts: 806
    I think I understand what you need. On the mtc file attached, I would move the Trace layer and the GradOutline layer to the top. With all the other layers hidden, select all, join, then layer or break (using the tools on the bottom bar). I'm not sure how you want the face and gown but I noticed on one layer, you have about 10 stacked shapes and you will have to move them from the stack to use them. 

HTH
    Althea
  • byMariebyMarie Member Posts: 40
    Thank you so much!  That was simple and it worked. First,  I joined the a) traced textured photo and b) the traced face cutout.  Second, I then clicked layer (and right clicked "to each its own"). Now I have my photo face that I can print multiple copies for my cards and then glue on top of gown trace.

Thank again AnnoitedHands!  I love that name. 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,568
    edited August 2016
    Is this what you want
    it the same method Althea says
    I will have to start again and check something before I explain what I did as mid way there was a issue that should not have happened

The 0/0 line is a new technique to me and sort of can it could be useful can you tell me where you saw it demonstrated or explained ?

edit
    ok found it maybe this was a cause of some of you issues the face layer had 10 extra copy of the shape so I delete those extras
    I also delete the texture face layer
    SO we now have
    a Face layer containing one shape
    a Gradoutline layer containing one shape
    and the trace layer

Move the Trace layer to the top
    Select the Trace layer and the Face layer do a join then do a break
    Select the face shape and move to new layer Lable FaceTexture
    ensure the trace layer is still in a layer above the Gradoutline layer
    Select the Trace layer and the Gradoutline layer do a join then do a break
    Select the gradoutline shape and move to new layer Lable GradOutlineTexture
    Now copy of the FaceTexture and GradOutlineTexture paste in place on new Layer Lable GradOutlineTextureNoFace
    Now boolean join difference these 2 (face from gradoutline)
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Crazy_Mr_Zing.  This is what I wanted - but I only needed the face which I am going to make multiple copies for a print and cut.  I definitely will be doing more textured traces now that I know how easy it is.  
    Post edited by Gabe on
    @bymarie Now I'm wondering how you created the shape for the face if it was using pixel trace you could have just imported the textured face on it own ?

Are you able to tell me where you saw the 0/0 line technique that sounds useful for another issue I've had before
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I traced the face from a photo and no I couldn't have imported just the face.

I found a discussion about tracing/texture snapshot/ (0,0) line in the forum, but I cannot find it now.  Here's the link to the youtube video about the process.

Thank You I didn't think about manual tracing i remember seen that but this 0,0 line seem new thank for post the video
    edited August 2016
    Problem.  When i printed out my textured snapshop traced face, my trace outline printed (with registration marks), however the inside - the textured photo - did not print.  

Unfortunately, i did not do a print preview before I printed.  Just did a print preview and only the traced outline shows.

Can anyone help me to resolve this. 

Thank you,

Marie
    Are you using the file i put up or did you do one of you own ?
    this is the print preview of my file

Check you don't have print wire frame only set in print options ?
    Unfortunately, even with your file, the print preview only shows the traced outline and not the textured face.  I wonder if there's a setting or something I need to adjust.  I've never done a print and cut, so this is new for me.  Yesterday, I worked on calibrating my Zing for the print and cut following the instructions in the Zing manual.  After just one adjustments, I was able to get my arrow to print perfectly.

OMG!  I know what the problem is.  For the print options, I checked the setting "Print Wireframe Only"  to save ink.  Just unchecked it.  Stupid me.  In the manual, it stated to don't forget to  uncheck the box once you finish your calibration. 
    lol guess you were typing why I was sending that message

There another setting people change and at least forgot about once that's the print shape outline they set it because the current project requires it and then the next project they print and it has all the cut line printed ????
    I have a terrible memory so attach a sticky note to my screen to remind me to return it to normal

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!