We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

My KNKMaxx won't cut, no matter what I've tried [Resolved]

JJadamsart138JJadamsart138 Member Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in Resolved Issues
Hi, I'm on a 2015 Macbook Pro (El Capitan) with a brand new 2014 KNK Maxx, I've installed Make the Cut, added the plugin for the KnkMaxx and done the bridge setup, It puts my USB cable onto Com Port 1 but nothing happens when I press to test it, I've tried other com ports as well, In Make the Cut when I go to cut, it gives me my Com Port 1 choice but nothing happens when I press test or start the cut. I have also alternatively tried the Bluetooth setup and while it pairs and connects fine to my Macbook and it recognises the cutter on Com 1 and I have followed the instructions to adjust the baud rate etc, but yet when I go to cut or test connection it still doesn't respond. What am I doing wrong here? It is as though my cutter is just chilling, absorbing and munching down on the tests and data sent and just ignoring and taunting me...My machine does respond when I press its buttons to test it, which is a plus I suppose... Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    edited July 2016
    I have a zing - but I think the set up is the same. Did you change the security settings - gatekeeper  of your mac to allow all users? Did you make sure the usb is secured to the back of the machine properly. Also did you drag over the drivers? Restart your computer and try again if yes to all these questions. If still not working you can relinstall the latest version of MTC and start again - only the most current mac version will work with el capitan - use an app cleaner first to get rid of the old version. If still not call knk and they can talk you thru it.
  • JJadamsart138JJadamsart138 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the response, yup, checked all the above. Reinstalled three times with app cleaner, installed latest beta version of MTC, followed instructions to the T. Everything seems like it should until I'm in MTC and hit the "Test connection" or "Start" and then nothing happens... I am pulling my hair out. The cutter is online, it works when I press the test button on it, My Mac knows it is on the right Com port, it just doesn't want to cut from my Mac. It just doesn't make any sense.
    Nothing happens when you open the bridge app  and hit z - no sound - it doesn't cut at this point - just moves the carriage back and forth. Did you try a different usb cord? And you ported over the drivers? You restarted your computer? If all this - then I would put in a trouble ticket to mtc and call knk and maybe you should drop @SandyMcC an email - she knows the max better than me. You do not have a pc handy - you can also install mtc on a pc.
    To cut from MTC you then have to open up make the cut app and send what you want to cut from there.
    edited July 2016
    Did you register your version of MTC - it will not cut if it is not registered and still in demo version. Sorry this might sound stupid - I know things can be frustrating - but I never know at what level trouble you are having since not cutting - can mean different things - like not having set up right - and so I try to go over things that might be obvious and start from the beginning setup.

I checked the manual - and the max setup on the mac looks exactly like the one for the zing and suggests using a usb. So after you open the bridge app , you open MTC and register it. No messing with baud rates that you have to do if you want to connect wirelessly. So I still suggest a computer restart - which is not mentioned before opening up MTC.

max.jpg 47.9K
  • HunterHunter Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    I'm having the same problem but with my pc laptop. Then I set it up on my desktop. I'm still having connection problems. I've tried with UBS and bluetooth. MTC is registered. Please help! I've wasted a day with this problem :(
    edited July 2016
    Same questions Hunter - do you have the proper drivers downloaded? For both the mac and the pc, you need drivers installed that is not part of the mtc exacutable file. If you are using a usb, make sure it is properly seated.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,646
    Do you have a Maxx or a Maxx Air?  You need to make sure you're selecting the correct one in MTC's cutting window. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit, Skycut C and D
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Hi, thanks for the help replies, I have the Knk Maxx model in Black and I have registered MTC and installed the correct drivers. I have since given up using my MAC now and went out and bought a brand new desktop PC last night to dedicate to the KNK Maxx. I went through the steps, downloaded the latest MTC software, installed it, installed the Knk Classic Plugin, registered MTC, my USB cable shows up on serial port 3 as it should be and baud rate the same as cutter....cutter online...grabbed a wingding to cut and went to "Cut project with", chose "Klic-N-Kut Series", window opened, chose Knk Maxx on Com 3...tried to cut...nothing, exactly the same problem as my MAC. (The Cutter will do a test cut on itself if I press test in offline mode) It just won't do what MTC tells it to.?? This is exactly the same on my MAC and now on a New PC?.
    I also decided to pair the cutter with Bluetooth on the new PC which set up and paired fine, but alas still no cut so its not my USB cable (I've tried two). I am honestly at my wits end..much like Hunter a couple posts above. I've been on this for a day now. I am an artist based in London, UK and desperately need this for my work.
    Sandy You are a Genius.....it works on my PC (embarrased face) I thought I had the Knk Maxx (As thats what it says on it in big bold blue and green letters)...I don't. I have the Knk Maxx Air (It's the black one, doh). All working now. It has made its first cut. Thank you so much for all your help on this. I nearly lost all hope. I am off to cry tears of joy in the corner of my room. Thanks Again.
    edited July 2016
    You might possibly be able to return the pc - I did when I bought one at Costco - (didn't like the screen).You can also use the bluetooth on the pc and work wirelessly. Although you would still have to see your cutter when you set up your cut.  But if you have to keep it or want to keep it, you might want to consider also getting  popupcard studio, which cannot work on a mac. Anyway Make the cut is a little different on a pc than on a mac since on the mac not all the printer functions are available because of it not being native and having to work thru wine. I also find it easier to use my desktop on the mac to put files I am working on instead of the default folders. That way I now where to access them later. You can also use the bluetooth on the pc.

edited July 2016
    So happy it's working!  And you're not the first to make this mistake... thus, the reason I knew what to suggest.  :)
    Post edited by Gabe on
    Sandy McCauley
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,594
    @Hunter, the original poster in this thread has resolved the problem.  If you still need to have your issue addressed, please start a new thread with your question.  Thank you.
    Thanks, Gabe! I missed that!
    Sandy McCauley
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!