We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Help! Pinch Wheel Bearing Lost inside Zing Air

CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
It must have gone down belt area and inside the end cap as I can hear it there.  I cannot roll it out.  Is there anything I can do to retrieve it other than send it to KNK folks?
Member 30818

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,521
    @Charo - you may be able to turn the Zing upside down and gently rock it out. Or start unscrewing things to take end caps off...the bits on the sides of the Zing.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 753
    @Liz_A  It won't rock out, because I'd have to get it just where the belt opening is and that just isn't possible.  How do you take the end cap off?  I only see one screw and it doesn't loosen it.  Of course this is the end where the power switch is too.  I'm scared now!  Do I have to take the whole bottom off first maybe?
    Member 30818
    Sorry @Liz_A I did say I was scared didn't ??  I found the second screw.  Can't get to it with a screwdriver though.  Guess it's time to ask my husband for help and listen to what I shouldn't have done....LOL.
    Member 30818
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    You can pry up the top - it actually lifts up, though my zing's was on pretty tight. I had Ron talk me thru that once.
    @leslie6111That was SO helpful!  It's good to know the top comes off.  By chance did you have to take an end cap off too?  There are two screws and that seems to be all but it is not pushing off.  I don't see anything else to unscrew though.
    Member 30818
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,521
    @Charo...its been a long time since that happened to me, so my memory is vague...popping the lid, although you might have to pry it open, its very stiff, helps. If you have a magnetic screwdriver, that might help if you can eyeball it.
    Still using MTC but slowly migrating to SCAL. KNK cutters including the Force and Maxx Air continue to be my favourites. Fluent in other cutter languages.
    I am down for the count.  Now BOTH bearings are inside the end caps, my husband is fuming.  Cannot get end cap tiny little screw off; metal is too soft and those little screws are too tight.  I hate these pinch wheels.  So suppport ticket has been created and I expect I will have to spend a fortune to send the machine to them.
    Member 30818
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,380
    edited June 2016
    No you do not have to take the end cap off to pry up the lid, by pressing under it. It just does. You just have to press it up . Just call and talk to Ron tomorrow. thus is what he wrote me, when I had laser issues:

"Hi Leslie

Remove all cables from the Zing. Roll the machine onto its back, and grasp the rounded front edge with one hand, and push the top cover away from you with the heel of the other hand (the machine's top opens like a car hood, hinged at the back). This will give you access to the carraige cover screws (4). Remove the screw and carriage cover, and you see the laser in the front holder. Pull it out of the holder, and add a small piece of double-stick tape to the body of the laser, and reinsert it firmly into the holder. Reassemble and you should be good!

Ron Smith
    Accugraphic Sales Inc. 407-880-5774."

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,574
    edited June 2016
    Oh dear you are having a bad day
    I've never had to take the end cover over my zing so first I think you need to confirm the the screws you try are the correct ones
    Are you sure you using the correct size screwdriver there are several sizes of + screwdrivers
    Maybe you need someone help that can apply a bit more downward pressure so the driver don't slip
    Has head has been damage to the point the screwdriver will not grip ?

I found this link with some tip to over come that problem
    http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/04/how-to-remove-screws-with-stripped-heads/

worst case something like this may help

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,594
    Just pull up on the front edge of the top of the Zing. Pull hard and the top will pop open.  No tools needed except your hand.  When they told me to open the top I didn't believe it even opened because it didn't look like it opened and when I tried it didn't seem to open.  But they said just pull up a bit harder so I did and POP it came open.  :)
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 60
    I took the end with the power button off of my Zing a short while back because it wouldn't power up. There are 4 screws holding the end on - 2 are under the bottom cover if I remember correctly, one toward the front by the blade holder, and one in the back that is very hard to get at. I had to use a screwdriver with a flexible shaft to get at it as a regular screwdriver wouldn't fit.
    Thank you all for the help.  With your help and with Ron Smith's help the escaped bearings have been retrieved and I now how to take the machine apart.  That's a good thing to know.  My impatient husband ruined the springs that go in the pinch wheel handle but Mr. Smith is sending me more.  Almost back in business!  I am making a foam piece to block off the belt area so this won't happen again when I have to re-adjust the levers.
    Member 30818
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!