We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Scan/photo bleed-through fix in PSE9 NEW QUESTION (bottom) THANK YOU!

hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,807
edited May 2016 in Resolved Issues
I scanned a page from an instruction manual that I wanted for easy reference, but the printing on the other side bled through and makes it hard to read. I tried to edit in Photoshop Elements 9, but nothing I've tried seems to be the right tool.

I then took a photo of it since I am a Picasa editing wiz, but I couldn't fix the problem there, either. Anything that lightened the bleed-through imaging also made the image lighter and harder to see. Retouching 70% of a page isn't the right fix.

I'm guessing this is an easy fix in PSE9, but as is so often the case, I don't know what keywords to use to identify the simple solution. I've ended up with far more complicated instructions than I think I need.

As always, I appreciate any pointers. I don't need anyone to tell me how to fix it, but if you know of a link that could show me, I'd be thankful!

Lynne
Post edited by hwgang on
Lynne
Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!

Comments

• CraftyGirlCraftyGirl Member Posts: 509
    @hwgang
    Have you tried putting extra sheets of paper behind the page to make it not as see-thru?
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,807
    Yes, but it doesn't work because the interfering image is printed on the other side of the same piece of paper. @CraftyGirl
    Lynne
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,473
    Have you tried black paper behind the page!  I think you might find unless you can find a lighting method that only works on the front page thus avoiding bleed through you won't succeed.  I'm sure the solution is light in the right colour.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,575
    edited May 2016
    Do you still have the original to attempt rescanning
    this page suggests how to prevent when scanning
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Copy-or-Scan-From-Thin-Paper-Without-Bleedthrough-/step2/Cover-the-Back-of-the-Page-With-Heavy-Black-Paper/

if you only have access to the scanned image file maybe you could try OCR
    What is the instruction manual title its possibly available online as a pdf
    are you able to attach the image for us to see what you dealing with

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Thank you, thank you, Thank you, @Di-lite and @Crazy_Mr_Zing! You saved me from the over-thinking direction in which I was heading! I couldn't see the forest for the trees on this one.

I have many creative interests and belong to a variety of groups, but this one is consistently the most widely creative and friendly group I've ever belonged to. You routinely save my bacon. 

Scan is now perfection. Soooo appreciated!
    Lynne
    @hwgang  We (me and him) aim to please.  Often Crazy Mr Zing comes up with solutions I wouldn't have thought of so he saves my bacon as well.  He's a real asset.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    OK, I've perfected the scan thanks to your help here.

Now, my next maddening frustration: I want to add a red arrow to my scanned item. Seems simple enough. I've created a new layer. I've added an arrow. I've been at this for an embarrassingly long time, I've googled, I simply can't make the bloody thing RED. I see a color options box next to the custom shape option that let me choose my arrow, I can select red, but darned if I can make it apply to either the arrow I created, or a new arrow.  

How hard should this be? And is it customary to have to rotate the page to place the arrow vertically? I can't make that a native option. It gets the job done, it just seems unnecessarily awkward. Is my PSE9 enough that I'm expecting too much from it?

Thanks for listening to me whine.
    Lynne
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,293
    @hwgang - Lynne, are you trying to add the arrow in Make The Cut! or in PSE9?
    @hwgang  have you looked for an arrow on line and then rotated it to import!  If you are working in MTC is should be easy - if you are working in PSE9 then let me know and I will to do a red arrow for you and jpg it if that would save your sanity!.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,242
    hwgang said:
    OK, I've perfected the scan thanks to your help here.

Now, my next maddening frustration: I want to add a red arrow to my scanned item. . . . Is my PSE9 enough that I'm expecting too much from it?
    , , , 
    Looks like based on her last statement that she is trying to do the arrow in PSE9.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @MeFlick that's what I thought but I have no idea what formats that works in - does it do svg do you know.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,242
    @Di-lite, like you - I don't know either as I don't do PSE myself.

However, @hwgang - Lynne, have you tried making your arrow in MTC its self, coloring it and then exporting it out and pulling it into PSE?  If you exported it out as a PNG with no background that should work I would think.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @MeFlick we will just have to wait for Lynne to report back so that we can help.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Hello, everyone. Sorry, I didn't get back to it. Trying to do it is Photoshop Elements 9. Should be a piece of cake. Tutorials on my version of the program. just say to alter the color in the obvious selection box. I can pick a new color, just can't get it to "take" and have no idea why. Tried walking away. New layers, new arrows. Got nowhere. I must be missing something obvious.

@MeFlick, @Di-lite I suppose I could do that, but yikes, that's a long way 'round. And then if I want to alter the arrow after auditioning it on my scan, I'd have to go through it all again. I've already got the arrow. Can't figure out how to color it. Or rotate it for that matter. I'll try Google again.

It's totally OK if no one knows the answer to this. I just thought I'd run it up the flagpole.
    Lynne
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,575
    I've never used photoshop element but assume it much the same as Photoshop CS*

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue your having

Is the arrow shape you using in you custom shape library ?

The custom shape color should be based on the current for ground color

I found a video they might help
    Tutorial: How to change color of Photoshop custom shapes

and a written tut  http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/custom-shapes/
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Once again @Crazy_Mr_Zing for the win! I had changed color in that spot, but I (apparently) had not done it BEFORE creating the shape. That one, simple trick, (sounds like clickbait, I know) was the missing key! Thanks so much!

Lynne
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!